Review of Everything Leads to You

A love letter to the craft and romance of film and fate in front of—and behind—the camera from the award-winning author of Hold Still.

A wunderkind young set designer, Emi has already started to find her way in the competitive Hollywood film world.

Emi is a film buff and a true romantic, but her real-life relationships are a mess. She has desperately gone back to the same girl too many times to mention. But then a mysterious letter from a silver screen legend leads Emi to Ava. Ava is unlike anyone Emi has ever met. She has a tumultuous, not-so-glamorous past, and lives an unconventional life. She’s enigmatic…. She’s beautiful. And she is about to expand Emi’s understanding of family, acceptance, and true romance.

Since I am home on maternity leave with the new little man, I have been looking for easy, contemporary reads. I don't get a ton of reading in, but since my bedtime has been a little earlier, I have been using it to help me calm down to sleep. I loved the cover of Everything Leads to You so I thought I would give it a chance.
Likes:
  • I enjoyed the setting and the movie influence. I have always wondered what it would be like to work on a movie set and I think this book had a great look at what it would be like to design a room in a movie. I have taken to really looking at the setting in all the shows and movies (especially since I have lots of Netflix right now lol)
  • The characters were interesting. I think they could have been a bit more developed, but for the most part they stood pretty well on their own. Ironically I really enjoyed Emi's brother and he wasn't really in the story much.
  • Emi's relationship with her ex was a bit annoying, but I do remember being young and stupid and not getting over someone who is bad for me. The wisdom that I have now lol.
  • Ava's story was interesting - I liked the mystery unfolding, but as you can see in a gripe, I wish that it was more developed.
  • I loved Charlotte and how dedicated she was to Emi. She was an amazing best friend.

Gripes:

  • I wanted to know so much more about Clyde Jones and the whole story. I thought that the whole history was really interesting, but I felt like it was kinda glossed over. I know that it wasn't the main part of the story, but it was what really interested me.
  • I felt like the book just ended. It totally snuck up on me and I was left with a blah feeling. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18667779-everything-leads-to-you

3 comments

  1. My favorite part about this book was the movie industry too. It was very interesting in that aspect!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Movie set is different for characters I've seen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte and Emie sound amazing! I'd totally check out this one! <3
    Haniya
    http://booknauthors.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.