Review of The Lies We Tell

It's 1974 in suburban Maryland, and Martie Wheeler is consumed by anxiety. Her father has just dropped dead from a heart attack, two girls have disappeared from the local mall, and President Nixon has turned out to be the liar of the century.

When her mother moves the family to Milwaukee, Martie becomes obsessed with finding out what happened to the missing girls while her depressed older sister, Blaire, befriends a strange artist known as "the witch."

While trying to survive her new life on the shores of moody Lake Michigan, Martie learns of a dark family secret that threatens to upend her world altogether.



 I haven't read a Netgalley book in a while, so I was excited to get my hands on The Lies We Tell. It sounds interesting - a little mystery in a unique time in history.

Likes:
  • I loved the time period. I don't think I have read a book that was based in the 70s in a long time. It was fun to have the Nixon administration and Watergate woven into the story. 
  • I have gone through some of the things that Martie experienced, definitely not in the same way, but I think that it helped me relate to her story. 
  • The characters in the book were interesting - they were realistic and there were times that you wanted to hate them and then the next minute you loved them.
Gripes:
  • I didn't love the writing. I felt like it was a little juvenile.  As interesting as the characters were, they weren't fully developed. It felt like a debut, I am not sure if it was or not, but there was potential for more good works. 
  • I almost wish that Blaire was the main character, rather than Martie. I just did not connect to Martie as much.
  • The mother drove me insane. I hated how she acted and the way she kept secrets.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26836164-the-lies-we-tell




4 comments

  1. No come to think of it I don't know the last book I read that took place in the 70's. The Lovely Bones? But that can't be right; that was years and years ago....
    To bad you couldn't connect with this story more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The setting of this one sounds pretty cool (It's always neat to visit other decades), it's a pity the writing wasn't amazing and you didn't connect with the MC, but I'm glad you were able to enjoy it as a whole :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry the writing wasn't on point, but overall this one sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eh, this sounds kind of okay. I'm really trying to stay away from these middle of the road books. Not doing so well. Thanks for this review!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.