Review of Leave Your Mark

Aliza Licht is a social media superstar. A global fashion communications executive, she is the voice behind the wildly popular @DKNY PR GIRL twitter feed that now boasts over half a million followers. Known for her chatty and intimate tone, she has also become beloved for her top-notch career advice and her enthusiasm for mentoring. Thousands of online conversations have led to many a coffee, mentoring strangers. But who can have coffee with everyone who asks? LEAVE YOUR MARK is her way of grabbing that coffee.

Now, in her first book, Aliza is here to tell her story, complete with The Devil Wears Prada-esque moments and insider secrets. Drawing invaluable lessons from her experience as a top fashion publicist, Licht shares advice, inspiration, and a healthy dose of real talk in LEAVE YOUR MARK. She delivers personal and professional guidance for people just starting their careers (“ ‘To Whom It May Concern’ never concerns anyone”) and for people who are well on their way (“Don’t just learn your job, learn everyone else’s”). With a particular emphasis on communicating and building your personal brand, something she knows a thing or two about, Aliza is your sassy, knowledgeable guide to the contemporary working world, where personal and professional lines are blurred and the most important thing you can have is a strong sense of self. 


A few month ago I was looking to transition my career in mortgage from the operations side of mortgage, to actual origination. I decided to prepare for my interview and for some general good life advice, I would pick up some books. I started with Leave Your Mark: Land Your Dream Job. Kill It in Your Career. Rock Social Media by Aliza Licht. I am happy to say that I landed the new job at the beginning of February and am now working as a loan assistant to two of our loan officers. I am really liking the position and almost regret not making the move years ago!

Likes:
  • Even though I have nothing to do with the fashion industry, Aliza’s advice worked for all careers.
  • I loved the personal stories and experiences that were mixed in with advice and lists of do’s and don’ts. It made the read a lot more enjoyable and entertaining.
  • Aliza had a great amount to say and could back it up with her personal experience. Sometimes you don’t know if the person really can “walk the walk” but Aliza really made a name for herself.
Gripes:
  • Not a whole lot of gripes. Honestly, it was mostly stuff I know from working for the last 10 years in my chosen profession. BUT, that being said, the book would be great for newbies just coming on the field. This would be an awesome college graduation gift!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23197565-leave-your-mark

6 comments

  1. I recently have been looking at some 'self-help' or motivational type books while I decide what I am going to be when I grow up!

    Might have to check this title out! Sounds like you really enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to check this out! The only career books I've read are by Jon Acuff, and they're great. Funny too, which definitely helps. :) Congrats on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a good book that would be helpful!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds pretty interesting :) it's not the type of thing I would normally read, but I'm going through a period of my career changing and I'll be starting all over again once I finish my degree; so will definitely keep this one in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, congrats on your new job! Big year for you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new job Missie! that's exciting! and the baby?! LOTS of good stuff in 2016!
    This actually sounds really good and I'm glad you shared your review! oddly enough, I almost went into business fashion for college but changed my mind a few months before i graduated high school. So although I'm still pursuing a job in the business field I'm really into the fashion industry and this one sounds interesting!
    Emily @ www.rabbitholereviews.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.