Review of Miss Mayhem

Life is almost back to normal for Harper Price. The Ephors have been silent after their deadly attack at Cotillion months ago, and her best friend, Bee, has returned after a mysterious disappearance. Now Harper can focus on the important things in life: school, canoodling with David (her nemesis-turned-ward-slash-boyfie), and even competing in the Miss Pine Grove pageant.

Unfortunately, supernatural chores are never done. The Ephors have decided they’d rather train David than kill him. The catch: Harper has to come along for the ride, but she can’t stay David’s Paladin unless she undergoes an ancient trial that will either kill her . . . or make her more powerful than ever.



Likes: 
  • The whole dynamic of a mage, paladin and oracle in a high school setting is always appealing. I love taking fantasy situations and putting them into reality.  
  • I love the drama and awkwardness between David, Ryan, Bee and Harper. It is so true how intermixed relationships can get in high school and how awkward it is still being friends with an ex.
  • I love the southern setting, especially with a the pageant and all its ridiculousness. I loved Sara, the pageant director. She was out of control! 
  • Harper and David's banter is so stinkin' cute. I know the dynamics of their relationship is hard, especially with the paladin / oracle situation but it is still cute to see them pick at each other. 
Gripes:
  • I loved David so much in the last book, there was so much slow-burn romance. David faded away a lot in this book, there were only a few good times where we got to see Harper and David together. I enjoyed those times, but they definitely were lacking in Miss Mayhem.
  • I felt like this was a middle book, it felt like a lot of lead up and not a lot of goings-on. I really wanted the trial to be a bigger situation than it was made out to be. 
  • The ending was definitely not what I wanted and it makes me feel so disconnected. I am so ready for Lady Renegades. It just felt so meh to me. I am hoping Lady Renegades will redeem the series.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22465605-miss-mayhem?from_search=true&search_version=service

http://www.aflurryofponderings.com/2015/12/2nd-annual-blogoversary-giveaway.html

5 comments

  1. I want to read this series! I haven't yet, but I have seen a lot of people only liked this book okay. I hope the next book in the series is better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read Rebel Belle, so I didn't read your review. But I saw your rating. Seems like it fell to middle book syndrome.
    I did love her Hex Hall series when I read it ages ago. So I'll definitely get to Rebel Belle this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't read Rebel Belle, so I didn't read your review. But I saw your rating. Seems like it fell to middle book syndrome.
    I did love her Hex Hall series when I read it ages ago. So I'll definitely get to Rebel Belle this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping the next one is a more to your liking :) The mage, paladin and oracle sounds like the start of a joke. But in all seriousness I love the sound of those characters mixing together in that setting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the premise of this series and the southern setting and characters appeals to me. I live in Alabama and have a real thing for it. It's too bad that this didn't play out the way that you were hoping, but am glad that you enjoyed it well enough. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.