Review of Killer Instinct

Seventeen-year-old Cassie Hobbes has a gift for profiling people. Her talent has landed her a spot in an elite FBI program for teens with innate crime-solving abilities, and into some harrowing situations. After barely escaping a confrontation with an unbalanced killer obsessed with her mother’s murder, Cassie hopes she and the rest of the team can stick to solving cold cases from a distance.

But when victims of a brutal new serial killer start turning up, the Naturals are pulled into an active case that strikes too close to home: the killer is a perfect copycat of Dean’s incarcerated father—a man he’d do anything to forget. Forced deeper into a murderer’s psyche than ever before, will the Naturals be able to outsmart the enigmatic killer’s brutal mind games before this copycat twists them into his web for good?

With her trademark wit, brilliant plotting, and twists that no one will see coming, Jennifer Lynn Barnes will keep readers on the edge of their seats (and looking over their shoulders) as they race through the pages of this thrilling novel.
 

I read book one, The Naturals, quite a while ago and, honestly, I am not sure why it took me so long to continue with the series. I love anything that is like Criminal Minds (I feel like that might not be the best thing to say!)

Likes:
  • The gang is back in the action, Cassie, Dean, Michael, Lia and Sloan are all back in the book and ready to solve cases. There are some new characters that help shape and change the story from the last book. 
  • I don't normally enjoy love triangles, but I think that between the childhood backgrounds, the skills and the current situation, the tepid romances between Dean, Michael and Cassie work well in the book. 
  • Once the action got rolling, it really read quickly. I think that the case in the first book was more absorbing than this one, but it was still a good read. 
  •  I really enjoyed the ending and the set up for the next book in the series, All In
Gripes: 
  • The beginning of the book was really slow for me. We focused on the new FBI agent in the story and some of Dean's past. I just felt like I had to muddle through it more than I expected. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20409231-killer-instinct

13 comments

  1. I absolutely love crime stories or anything related to the FBI. I want to take a forensic science class in my school to see what it'd be like but I haven't got the time to do it :( Wow this book sounds really good and doesn't seem like you didn't like anything in particular, which is a good sign. The only reason I haven't picked up this book is probably because of the cover. It just looked really middle grade for me :O

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one recently (after having read The Naturals like a year or so ago!) and really enjoyed it as well! I'm just sad I don't have a copy of All In yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love love love this series. I am not sure what it is but serial killers and murders intrigue me so I love this kind of series. All In was awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got The Naturals for Christmas. I'm excited to get to it soon. I also love Criminal Minds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were able to enjoy even with a slow beginning, and a love triangle! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an interesting read. It's been on my radar for a while so I will check it out eventually. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read this series yet, but I've been meaning to. I also love all things Criminal Minds. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I'm not sure if this sounds like a series for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had not heard of this series, but I totally want to read it now! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crime stories are pretty cool, and this book sounds like it's got one of those plots that get you hooked. It also sounds a little supernatural-y, but that might be my fried brain trying to function. :D
    Nevertheless a brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah Criminal Minds is good though (I try to ignore the fact that some episodes - or is it most of them? - are based on real crimes D: ) This one sounds like a neat little series, it sounds vaguely familiar but I know I haven't read it. I might have to check the first one out :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do hate slow beginnings, but happy it got better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A shame about the beginning slagging a little, but I don't mind that too much and I love the sound of this interesting gang. I have this book on my TBR now!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.