Review of The Heir and The Spare

Family can be complicated. Especially when skeletons from the past pop up unexpectedly. For American Evie Gray, finding out her deceased mother had a secret identity, and not one of the caped crusader variety, was quite the surprise. Evie’s mom had a secret life before she was even born, one that involved tiaras.

In this modern day fairytale, Evie is on a path to figure out who her mom really was, while discovering for herself what the future will hold. Charged with her late mother’s letters, Evie embarks on a quest into her past. The first item on the list is to attend Oxford, her mom’s alma mater. There, Evie stumbles upon a real life prince charming, Edmund Stuart the second Prince of England, who is all too happy to be the counterpart to her damsel in distress.

Evie can’t resist her growing attraction to Edmund as they spend more time together trying to unravel the clues her mother left behind. But, when doubts arise as to whether or not Edmund could ever be with an untitled American, what really ends up unraveling is Evie’s heart. When Evie uncovers all the facts about her mom’s former life, she realizes her mom’s past can open doors she never dreamed possible, doors that can help her be with Edmund. But, with everything now unveiled, Evie starts to crack under the pressure of new family responsibilities and the realization that her perfect prince may want her for all the wrong reasons.


I received The Heir and The Spare for an honest review and I was so excited I did. It was one of my 2016 anticipated, so it felt like Christmas when I received the book. I was in need of a cute, little contemporary after binging on some fantasy!

Likes: 
  • The part of the story with Evie's mother was my favorite. I loved the letters and the secret quest. I wish that part of the story was a lot more detailed and had taken a bit more time to come to fruition. 
  • Edmund, dreamy Edmund. I was sucked into a book crush the minute he started talking. He was witty, HOT and cultured. Yes please! 
  • The girls were so fun! I wish that their friendship was surface that it almost seemed odd when they would serious about life situation. I wanted more of Suzy and Caroline. 
  • I love fresh, slow burn romances. The first time Edmund and Evie went into the city had to be one of my favorite parts of the book. 
  • Fairy tale romances are always fun, this one was definitely modernized. It was a fun, easy going read. It would be perfect if you are in a book slump or are a sucker for cute contemporaries. 
Gripes:
  • There were a few times when Evie drove me insane. She really liked Edmund but would do or say such stupid things instead of saying the truth. I know she was trying to protect herself, but sometimes it just seemed so whiny. 
  • The story was so rushed toward the end. Once Evie figures out the secret, it just goes rocketing toward the end of the book and I wish that there was so much more. 




https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25517283-the-heir-and-the-spare?from_search=true&search_version=service

12 comments

  1. Great review! I've seen this book around on Goodreads and such, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it. I think I will have to add it to my to read list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't heard of this one before, I like the sound of it though! Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of this one yet either. Sounds a little silly, but your 'likes' sound fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hot AND cultured? Just the way I like them!:) LOL. great review! this is the first i've heard of this one before!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these types of stories :) I'll have to add this one to my TBR list

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I've been wondering about this one ever since I first saw it. I can see why those things bothered you. I also hate when the girl causes unnecessary drama instead of getting with the guy. However, I think I'll still check this one out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one sounds quite sweet :) and who can resist a fairytale ending?! I think I'll be adding this to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this one to review so I'm glad it went over well. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds super fun! I'll definitely add this to the TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how it sounds fun to read but your gripe makes me think twice.. I'd still think about this one. Great review, Missie :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds good to me! I have read a few positive reviews for this and am looking forwarded to reading it myself. Too bad about the ending being rushed, but I am finding that happens a lot once the the big secret is uncovered.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A book with royals? Of course I am going to improve somewhat! I love the sound of Evie as the main character. She shares the name of my best friend as well which is kind of funny :D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.