Review of Dumplin'

Self-proclaimed fat girl Willowdean Dickson (dubbed “Dumplin’” by her former beauty queen mom) has always been at home in her own skin. Her thoughts on having the ultimate bikini body? Put a bikini on your body. With her all-American beauty best friend, Ellen, by her side, things have always worked…until Will takes a job at Harpy’s, the local fast-food joint. There she meets Private School Bo, a hot former jock. Will isn’t surprised to find herself attracted to Bo. But she is surprised when he seems to like her back.

Instead of finding new heights of self-assurance in her relationship with Bo, Will starts to doubt herself. So she sets out to take back her confidence by doing the most horrifying thing she can imagine: entering the Miss Clover City beauty pageant—along with several other unlikely candidates—to show the world that she deserves to be up there as much as any twiggy girl does. Along the way, she’ll shock the hell out of Clover City—and maybe herself most of all.

With starry Texas nights, red candy suckers, Dolly Parton songs, and a wildly unforgettable heroine—Dumplin’ is guaranteed to steal your heart.


I have never been the skinny girl. I have always felt like my body was never good enough. I don’t love the muffin top or the fact that I hold my weight in my belly area. I have stretch marks and imperfections. I love being at the beach, but being in a swimsuit is not fun. There are so many worldly perceptions of having to be a size 2 or people will stare. Dumplin’ was so refreshing to read and realize there is good YA literature out there to help us all feel a bit better being exactly who we are.

Likes:
  • Willowdean’s wit was probably my favorite part of the book. I love a good comeback, sarcasm and “wise wit”
  • I have skinny friends. I was always a tank-ini girl and my some of my besties are bikinis. It is hard to feel confident when you think you should be able to wear a bikini and that everyone is looking at you. I know exactly how Willowdean had to feel with Ellen. She loves her and hates her a bit at the same time.
  • Oh, Bo. Him and his red suckers had me. I was definitely book crushing on him. But, I can also relate to Willow feeling self-conscious when Bo touched her. It is hard even with my husband touching my belly, since I am sensitive to having a belly.
  • I love beauty pageants in books. I think they are a fun backdrop and always cause interesting reading.
  • The whole Dolly Parton influence in the book is so cute, especially when the girls take the secret little trip to the bar to listen to some performers.
Gripes:
  • I almost felt like the girls that joined Willowdean were kinda drug through the mud. I thought they didn’t get enough development and a chance to really shine and go through the transformation Willow did.
  • Willowdean’s mom made my heart hurt a little. I know that she was trying, but it was just not coming off the right way.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18304322-dumplin

8 comments

  1. Awesome review! This looks like a really good and relatable read. I've never been a size 2 myself and after having kids that's not the case even more so haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sound like a good read. I've been debating picking it up for a while. I really like books that tackle topics that aren't addressed and swept under the rug. Great Review!!
    Tori @InToriLex

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds really interesting! I have been wanting to check it out for a while. Great review!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked this one! Unfortunately I'm the black sheep and as much as I loved being able to relate to a charters insecurities I was not a fan of Willow Dean. She was so judgmental amount other things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had my eye on this book for a while. I think it sounds awesome. So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it when the character is witty and it works well :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had this one on my TBR for a while but haven't got to it yet. It's always nice when books have topics we can really relate to, and sometimes they even make us see them in a different way :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE what you said about there being "good YA literature out there to help us all feel a little bit better about being exactly who we are." That's what I love about the YA genre. It's not meant to put one group of people down, I feel like the majority of YA aims to help teens (and anyone) realize they belong and are perfect just the way they are. I'm really glad to hear you liked Dumplin! I follow the author on instagram and she's the sweetest thing! great review Missie!
    Emily @ www.rabbitholereviews.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.