Subscription Box Review - Owlcrate

I have gotten an Owlcrate box a while ago, but stopped for a bit, because I find it a bit expensive to do each month. Since Frostbeard Studio was featured in the box, I knew I need to subscribe again for a little Christmas present for myself. Here are my thoughts:


The box came packaged well and everything was in great condition after shipping. The box included one of two reading journals from Penguin and Chronicle Books, a delectible smelling candle from Frostbeard Studios, a to-do notepad from Boy Girl Party and a stunning Little Prince magnet created by Sandra Vargas. The featured book was Da Vinci's Tiger by Laura Malone Elliot.


I loved the candle, it was this delicious coffee, cafe smell. So good! Frostbeard is located in Minnesota and I always love to get products from my home state!


How amazingly cute is this notepad? I love it so much and I am definitely a list maker, so I excited to make lists with such a sweet little notepad. Boygirlparty has so many cute things on their website and a coupon was included in the box!



How amazing is this magnet? I want it in a large print. And series, the rest of Sandra Vargas' work is so cool! Plus, the logo on her card is a fox, so of course I am in love!


This was probably the only thing in my box I was a little iffy about. It is a cool concept but I am not sure if I would use it. I do like paper and all, but Goodreads is so nice to keep that all organized. I might re-gift this one.


And finally, the main reason to get a Owlcrate, the featured book! I have had Da Vinci's Tiger on my TBR for a long time and I am so excited to read it!

Young, beautiful, and witty, Ginevra de’ Benci longs to take part in the artistic ferment of Renaissance Florence. But as the daughter of a wealthy family in a society dictated by men, she is trapped in an arranged marriage, expected to limit her creativity to domestic duties. Her poetry reveals her deepest feelings, and she aches to share her work, to meet painters and sculptors mentored by the famed Lorenzo de Medici, and to find love.

When the charismatic Venetian ambassador, Bernardo Bembo, arrives in Florence, he introduces Ginevra to a dazzling circle of patrons, artists, and philosophers—a world of thought and conversation she has yearned for. She is instantly attracted to the handsome newcomer, who admires her mind as well as her beauty. Yet Ginevra remains conflicted about his attentions. Choosing her as his Platonic muse, Bembo commissions a portrait by a young Leonardo da Vinci. Posing for the brilliant painter inspires an intimate connection between them—one Ginevra can only begin to understand. In a rich and enthralling world of exquisite art, elaborate feasts, and exhilarating jousts, she faces many temptations to discover her voice, artistic companionship, and a love that defies categorization. In the end, she and Leonardo are caught up in a dangerous and deadly battle between powerful families.

Overall, I am very happy with Owlcrate. I believe the value is pretty decent, but I do feel like it is some of the things I would not buy on my own or don't necessarily need. I am going to get the January box as a birthday gift to myself, but it will be hard to continue getting monthly boxes at almost $40 a box. They are trying a Paypal, one box at a time, situation right now, and I think I would only occasionally get a box or give one as a gift. It is a fun surprise, but when a hardcover is only half the cost of the box, I just feel like I can't justify it all year around. 

http://www.aflurryofponderings.com/2015/12/2nd-annual-blogoversary-giveaway.html

10 comments

  1. Great box review! I have been wanting to get owl crate for a long time now. I get another subscription box already though and I can't afford two lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with you. It was fun for the few months I got it. But in the end it's to expensive and honestly the stuff I got wasn't anything I needed. And I haven't read any of the 4 or 5 books I got from it either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with you. It was fun for the few months I got it. But in the end it's to expensive and honestly the stuff I got wasn't anything I needed. And I haven't read any of the 4 or 5 books I got from it either...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great box review. I have thought about trying one of these out for a couple of months. I don't know how long the thrill would last, but they seem like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great box review! I've been looking at Owl Crate for a while now, but ended up trying out Uppercase. My first box will be the January box, so we'll see if I think it's worth it. I like the idea, but like you may end up only doing it from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think after I move in a few months I'll have to try out this subscription!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same about monthly boxes like this, I've tried a few (not all bookish ones) and sometimes they're great but really, how many random things does one need? They're fun every now and then though! I'm trying a local box for January (the US ones are a bit pricey for me with shipping D: ) so hopefully it's worth it :)

    The to-do list is super cute, and the bookish journal thing might come in handy if you don't have your computer at hand? I write notes on the books I read in a notebook and occasionally consider a proper book one (but they might not have enough room for all my scrawl :P )

    Just went to the Frostbeard Studio site, oh my, bookish candles look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. I love the idea of the book box subscriptions, but I can never bring myself to pay the price for it. I'm just worried that I'll get items I won't like, especially the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't heard of this book when it came. I think it might be more of my sister's taste. I got this for a few months but I've canceled for the moment. It was a bit pricey and I can't currently afford it. Plus, I'd like to try out different boxes/subscriptions in the future and see what I ultimately like the best.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Review! I have always wanted to subscribe to Owlcrate. But it's too expensive for me :'(

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.