Review of Queen of Shadows

The queen has returned.

Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she’s at last returned to the empire—for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past…

She has embraced her identity as Aelin Galathynius, Queen of Terrasen. But before she can reclaim her throne, she must fight.

She will fight for her cousin, a warrior prepared to die for her. She will fight for her friend, a young man trapped in an unspeakable prison. And she will fight for her people, enslaved to a brutal king and awaiting their lost queen’s triumphant return.

The fourth volume in the New York Times bestselling series continues Celaena’s epic journey and builds to a passionate, agonizing crescendo that might just shatter her world.



I love the Throne of Glass series. If I have a daughter, I would seriously consider naming her Celaena. But, as much as I liked the series, I cannot feel complete about the 4th book. Crown of Midnight was by far my favorite, and I really think that love carried me through the series, but I am left with some love for Queen of Shadows, but not deep, undying Harry Potter kind-of-love for the series.

I am going to do this review a little backwards from the way I normally do things, I am going to start with my gripes.

Gripes:
  • Holy a million, billion pages. It was a LONG book and I still feel like so much was left unfinished. There felt like a lot of fluff sometimes and as I was listening to the audiobook, I easily drifted away into thought and realized I missed something, but it wasn’t even that important.
  • So much waiting. I know that there was planning, I know that time needed to elapse before we found out what was going to happen, but I wish that we were let in on Aelin’s antics as she got everything ready for the final takeover.
  • Rowen. I am sure there are a lot of people that are Team Rowen, but it wasn’t the romance for me. I know they are not “really” related, but kinda are. Somewhere down in the lineage. That always bothered me from the beginning. I am Team Chaol. I would have loved a little rocky start as they saw each other again, but than some good ole fashion making up!
  • I am wondering what exactly is happening with the word keys, with Manon and the 13 and Elide. I never fully understood why they were added as characters, but I really am confused when we were left as they were in the end of Queen of Shadows.

Likes:
  • Aelin is darn smart and I loved how she did magic with the whole scene in the Assasin’s Keep. I would have to say that was my favorite part of the whole book.
  • I loved the ladies in the book, the relationships that grew and changed and the friendships that came out of earlier hate and mistrust. I really enjoyed learning more about Lysandra, who she really was and what her past was like. I did really hate her character in earlier books, but now she is one of my favorites.
  • Nesryn was one of my new favorites. I love her tough exterior but her soft heart. I especially loved how Aelin treated her and knew that she was good enough for Chaol (spoiler sorry).
  • Asterin was another favorite. I loved that she stood up to Manon, even when it almost cost her, her life. But I even moreso loved her after she finally told Manon her story! She is such a strong and powerful witch. I really respected her.
  • Dorian was SO hard to read about. I wanted to break that collar off and save him so badly. I really wish that he had more presence in the book, but I understand how hard that would have been. I just really wanted more of him at the end.
  • I know that some people think Rowen babied Aelin, but I thought it was cute how Rowen and Aeodion protected Aelin. She was not going to live forever and was a huge part of the pawn. She reminded me a lot of Tris, always jumping head first into things without really thinking of herself or her safety. We all need those people around us who care and want the best for us and our well-being.
  • I don’t want to spoil anything, but I NEED to know what you thought about the King. What did you think about what he said? Was he truthful or lying?
  • Even though the story was long, I still enjoyed it, especially in context with the rest of the series.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18006496-queen-of-shadows?from_search=true&search_version=service

3 comments

  1. Awesome review!!!! I still need to read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen so many good reviews for these, and I'm tempted to try them in the new year. I haven't been reading as much fantasy as I've had trouble finding books that I like lately, oddly enough since it's my favorite genre! It sounds like the characters are really complex, which is appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! I am still not over QoS. I have so much to say, and unfortunately it's a lot of gripes. My biggest problem was Aelin. Her attitude was terrible. Plus I hate when a character is all knowing. Like seriously, that girl had a secret(right) plan for everything.
    Rowan and Aelin together is gross. It's not even about being related. He's a billion years older than her. Plus I am and will always be Team Chaol. And Everything to do with Chaol in QoS was so backwards. I can't even.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.