Review of Wash Me Away

Monsters have a way of following you.

Immersed in a new world at boarding school, Addy Buckley learns she’s not the only one with secrets. While trying to navigate the minefield of painful lies that seem to be rattling around her family’s past, she meets soft on the eyes and heavy on the heart, Napoleon Blake.

When faced with the darkness, Addy must decide to cling to her new life and friends or let the monster carry her away. The choice is hers, sink or swim.







I was given a ebook of Wash Me Away to review and I really had no idea what I was getting into when I started it. There was some deep, tough issues in the book, but I felt the author did a really good job with them.

Likes:
  • Addy was a great MC. I felt like I could relate in a lot of ways. I was pretty naïve when I was younger and a little more sheltered. When she moved, she was forced into the “real world” and there was a lot she had to learn. She was smart, tough but had such a huge heart, even with all that she went through. I am not sure I would have turned out as good as she did with a past like that.
  • There was BIG topic issues in the book, molestation and suicide being two of them. An author needs to be tentative when adding deep issues to the story and having it be well done. I like Wendy Owens did a great job. The situations felt realistic from the young adult point of view and were not made-light-of or made-fun-of.
  • The side characters were well done. Julia, you totally love or hate her. But you still hang out with her. She has a good heart, I think she just had to try to keep it tough. And Leo. Oh dreamy Leo. I had an angsty little crush on him. He was a little tortured and I am always attracted to that.
  • The suicide in the book hit home. I was glad that it really showed the angry feelings that suicide causes for the survivors. My brother-in-law committed suicide a couple years ago and there is a still a huge hole in our hearts and family because of it. His pain may have been taken away, but it was transferred to us. I still sometimes get so angry thinking about it, wishing he would have reached out, thinking we didn’t try hard enough, that there was something someone could have done. Whenever I read books that have the topic of suicide, it is always important to me that the real issues of grief, loss and anger are portrayed, because that is real.
  • Other than a few horrible fathers in the book, there was some great parental influences. I love Leo’s parents and Addy’s aunt and uncle. It always makes me smile seeing those supportive roles in the book because I know how important my parents were to me as an young adult.

Gripes:
  • No real gripes. There were maybe a few times I felt it was a bit dramatic, but I can understand the drama, because I was a dramatic teen. I think that is just something I notice being a 30-something reading YA. I love it, but there is a different POV with the age different. Oh the joys of growing older and wiser ;) (Let’s hope so at least!)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25202708-wash-me-away


 photo Signature smaller.png

No comments

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.