Review of More Happy Than Not

In his twisty, gritty, profoundly moving debut—called “mandatory reading” by the New York Times—Adam Silvera brings to life a charged, dangerous near-future summer in the Bronx.

In the months after his father's suicide, it's been tough for 16-year-old Aaron Soto to find happiness again--but he's still gunning for it. With the support of his girlfriend Genevieve and his overworked mom, he's slowly remembering what that might feel like. But grief and the smile-shaped scar on his wrist prevent him from forgetting completely.

When Genevieve leaves for a couple of weeks, Aaron spends all his time hanging out with this new guy, Thomas. Aaron's crew notices, and they're not exactly thrilled. But Aaron can't deny the happiness Thomas brings or how Thomas makes him feel safe from himself, despite the tensions their friendship is stirring with his girlfriend and friends. Since Aaron can't stay away from Thomas or turn off his newfound feelings for him, he considers turning to the Leteo Institute's revolutionary memory-alteration procedure to straighten himself out, even if it means forgetting who he truly is.

Why does happiness have to be so hard?

Once again, the cover really caught me, and I had to read More Happy Than Not. I was really thrown off by the plot, it was once again not really what I expected from the cover.

Likes:
  • There was this crazy mix of science fiction and contemporary in the book. I really liked how it flowed together. It was like normally daily life, but then there was this medical procedure that can remove memories so that you completely forget them.
  • Aaron seems like a fairly typical teen. He lives in the Bronx with his mother and his brother. His father recently committed suicide and the family is still reeling from the loss.
  • Aaron meets Thomas and his life starts to unravel. Even though he has a girlfriend, Genevieve, he starts to think that he might have feelings for Thomas. He knows that being homosexual in his neighborhood is not good, plus it is always hard to love someone who doesn’t love you back.
  • I don’t really want to spoil things, but stuff happens that jerk Aaron’s life in a direction he did not see coming. He has to figure out how to deal with life, his sexuality and his friends / family.
  • It is always great to read diversity, especially YA written by a male with a male MC!

Gripes:
  • I just had trouble connecting with the book a bit. I am not sure if it was the writing style or just me not being in the right mood for the book. It was good, I just didn’t love it as much as I thought I would.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19542841-more-happy-than-not

 photo Signature smaller.png

5 comments

  1. I started this as soon as we got it in our Owlcrate, but something felt off for me as well. I liked it but got distracted and haven't picked it back up since. I will...eventually.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely sounds interesting, but I know what you mean about being in the mood. I recently read The Museum of Extraordinary Things by Alice Hoffman and even though it was good, I just didn't connect or feel anything for the characters. I don't know if it was bad writing or me not being in the mood for the book!!

    Basically just saying I know how you feel! I might have to look for this title though as I said it sounds interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I'm about half way through, and I don't think it's bad, but I am hoping it gets a bit better! I hope I end up a bit happier than you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes that happens - you WANT to love a book, but something holds you back from getting there. Sorry you weren't a huge fan of this one!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been recommended this one by a friend who loved it, so I put it on my TBR. I am always for the diversity of a male POV in books and wished it happens more. It seems like this one discusses some hard themes and family as well.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.