Review of Bone Gap

Everyone knows Bone Gap is full of gaps—gaps to trip you up, gaps to slide through so you can disappear forever. So when young, beautiful Roza went missing, the people of Bone Gap weren’t surprised. After all, it wasn’t the first time that someone had slipped away and left Finn and Sean O’Sullivan on their own. Just a few years before, their mother had high-tailed it to Oregon for a brand new guy, a brand new life. That’s just how things go, the people said. Who are you going to blame?

Finn knows that’s not what happened with Roza. He knows she was kidnapped, ripped from the cornfields by a dangerous man whose face he cannot remember. But the searches turned up nothing, and no one believes him anymore. Not even Sean, who has more reason to find Roza than anyone, and every reason to blame Finn for letting her go.

As we follow the stories of Finn, Roza, and the people of Bone Gap—their melancholy pasts, their terrifying presents, their uncertain futures—acclaimed author Laura Ruby weaves a heartbreaking tale of love and loss, magic and mystery, regret and forgiveness—a story about how the face the world sees is never the sum of who we are.

I had no idea what to think when I started this book. I had read a couple reviews raving over the book and loved the cover, so I really didn't know what was coming at me.

Likes:

  • Finn was so freaking interesting. I loved how the town both loved him and yet held him at arms length because they thought he was a bit crazy. I also thought it was so interesting how this amazingly handsome boy was weird. It is not really a trait you have for main characters. Normally if you are weird, your looks go right along with that weirdness. It made his character even more unique.
  • The book was realistic but yet magical at the same time. It is odd how those who things work so well together, but they did. The small town vibe, but then the horse rides at night and the talking cornfield. Such a cool way to write a story.
  • I adored Petey and Roza, Both were strong women, but still vulnerable and figuring how who they were. They were completely opposite in looks, but loved each other for reasons beyond looks. I think that is a great part of the book, that perception is so much more important that self-image.
  • Ruby's writing was so poetic, there were numerous times where I was impressed by her imagery. She can write amazing fiction and it feels like she didn't even have to try too hard. I really enjoyed that. I am definitely going to have to read more of her work.

Gripes:

  • Bone Gap is definitely one of those books that people are going to either love or hate. It is a book you need to read when you are open to a little magic in everyday life, and a little weirdness. I think if you enjoyed You Give Me the Sun or Fangirl, you would enjoy the weirdness of this book.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18806240-bone-gap?from_search=true&search_version=service


 photo Signature smaller.png

6 comments

  1. This sounds amazing. I've had it on my wish list for a while. One of these days I MUST read it, because it definitely sounds like my kind of "weird."

    ReplyDelete
  2. this book was my introduction to magical realism, and i hope i can find some more books with this in it soon because I really enjoyed Bone Gap for this reason! and i agree with what you said about Finn! he was definitely an interesting and different main character to have, because most good looking guys aren't portrayed the way he was in YA books! I'm so glad you liked Bone Gap Missie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping it is going to be the kind of book I can love. I have it on my TBR and I love the sound of the main character as well as the idea being out of this world and yet believable! The writing style sounds lovely ^.^

    My recent post: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2015/09/crafty-and-cooking-messes-apple-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had this on my radar for a while because of the love it's getting. I got it as a Kindle deal not to long ago, so hopefully sometime soon I'll actually get to it. I love magical realism when it's done right. And it seems like it just might be. :)
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this one on my TBR and for some reason I feel like I'll be more on the love side. Something about this book sounds like it's for me. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.