Black Swan meets Pretty Little Liars in this soapy, drama-packed novel featuring diverse characters who will do anything to be the prima at their elite ballet school.
Gigi, Bette, and June, three top students at an exclusive Manhattan ballet school, have seen their fair share of drama. Free-spirited new girl Gigi just wants to dance—but the very act might kill her. Privileged New Yorker Bette's desire to escape the shadow of her ballet star sister brings out a dangerous edge in her. And perfectionist June needs to land a lead role this year or her controlling mother will put an end to her dancing dreams forever. When every dancer is both friend and foe, the girls will sacrifice, manipulate, and backstab to be the best of the best.
- The synopsis states that the story was Black Swan meets Pretty Little Lairs. I wouldn’t really state that Black Swan was in the story, but it definitely had some PLL aspects.
- I loved the story from multiple POVS. First there was Gigi, an African-American student from California. She was a naturally born dancer and started to be cast as the lead in many dances, making her a target to her peers. Then there is Bette who was the younger sister of a prima ballerina and was required by her mother to be the best. And finally, June, a Korean student and perfectionist. Each other the girls had complicated back stories and histories that wove into their stories at the dance academy.
- The book had the aspects of PLL with all the jealousy and accidents that happen during the book. I am saying accidents lightly as they were actually girls trying to sabotage each other. It really shows how easy it is for females to compete rather than lift each other up. I think that is a lesson that everyone needs to learn.
- The writing in my book was unique for me, I liked it, but I felt like I had to pay attention. I was reading it over 4th of July weekend, so there was a lot of activity going on and sometimes I had a hard time focusing.
- I felt like the ending was left so open. I immediately looked at Goodreads to see if it was supposed to be a series, but I did not find anything. I am hoping that something is planned, but if it was put there to allow for a sequel if it sold well. I wanted a complete story.