Review of Tiny Pretty Things

Black Swan meets Pretty Little Liars in this soapy, drama-packed novel featuring diverse characters who will do anything to be the prima at their elite ballet school.

Gigi, Bette, and June, three top students at an exclusive Manhattan ballet school, have seen their fair share of drama. Free-spirited new girl Gigi just wants to dance—but the very act might kill her. Privileged New Yorker Bette's desire to escape the shadow of her ballet star sister brings out a dangerous edge in her. And perfectionist June needs to land a lead role this year or her controlling mother will put an end to her dancing dreams forever. When every dancer is both friend and foe, the girls will sacrifice, manipulate, and backstab to be the best of the best.
I was never a dancer, but I really wish that I was. I have a bit of resentment toward my mother for never putting me in dance class. I LOVE watching dance movies/tv (Step Up, Center Stage, Dance Academy, Save the Last Dance) and have always wondered what it would be like to dance with that skill. So, when books or movies come out with dancers, I live my curiosity a bit.

  • The synopsis states that the story was Black Swan meets Pretty Little Lairs. I wouldn’t really state that Black Swan was in the story, but it definitely had some PLL aspects.
  • I loved the story from multiple POVS. First there was Gigi, an African-American student from California. She was a naturally born dancer and started to be cast as the lead in many dances, making her a target to her peers. Then there is Bette who was the younger sister of a prima ballerina and was required by her mother to be the best. And finally, June, a Korean student and perfectionist. Each other the girls had complicated back stories and histories that wove into their stories at the dance academy.
  • The book had the aspects of PLL with all the jealousy and accidents that happen during the book. I am saying accidents lightly as they were actually girls trying to sabotage each other. It really shows how easy it is for females to compete rather than lift each other up. I think that is a lesson that everyone needs to learn.

  • The writing in my book was unique for me, I liked it, but I felt like I had to pay attention. I was reading it over 4th of July weekend, so there was a lot of activity going on and sometimes I had a hard time focusing.
  • I felt like the ending was left so open. I immediately looked at Goodreads to see if it was supposed to be a series, but I did not find anything. I am hoping that something is planned, but if it was put there to allow for a sequel if it sold well. I wanted a complete story.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18710209-tiny-pretty-things


 photo Signature smaller.png

12 comments

  1. Save the Last Dance takes me right back to my high school days. I can't even imagine how many times my friends and I watched it. Knew all the lines.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Center Stage is the ultimate dance movie for me. I watched that on tape soooo many times, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this as well but didn't like it as much because of all the drama. BUT I'm pretty sure there's going to be a series, or at least last I heard. I don't remember where I heard it from though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wished I was a dancer as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this to review, and I have to say I'm really excited to read it. I really hope I enjoy it, and great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love watching dance films as well :) I also have a resentment for not being able to do dance classes as a kid lol alas, I learned when I was older that I lack coordination, so it was probably for the best :P

    Great review Missie!

    - Wattle @ Whimsical Nature

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom tried to put me in dance class because she thought I was that artistic (I am compared to her, though). ;p

    I think I've seen negative reviews back earlier this year - I haven't watched Pretty Little Liars myself, but I avoid it mainly because it just doesn't sound like something I would like. From your review, it does look really dramatic, so I think I'll keep my stand in passing this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't stand it when the endings are left too open. I hope there is a sequel coming for you. I am a huge fan of Pretty Little Liars so I may have to check this one out!

    Thanks for sharing! :0



    Alex @ The Shelf Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  9. An open ending. Ugh! Everything else sounds good, though. Glad I know about the ending at least - I have this one on my bookshelf, so I'm hoping to read it soon.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was never a dancer myself either, but I've always wonted to be one. We might change that with out kids :) Anyhow this one sounds really interesting and new to me. I'm not a fan of open endings but this one might be worth reading tough. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to know you quite liked this one! I have a copy of it, so I will be getting around to reading it at some point. I am looking forward to the multiple POVs and all. I am not sure how I feel about open endings, but I think for the most part I don't mind them. Great review ^^

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love dance films too! I've seen this one around on Goodreads but didn't know all that much about it. But from reading your review I like the sound of it. I quite like the whole bitchy and sabotage concept of it. I will have to check out if my library has this one yet!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.