Review of Saint Anything

Peyton, Sydney's charismatic older brother, has always been the star of the family, receiving the lion's share of their parents' attention and—lately—concern. When Peyton's increasingly reckless behavior culminates in an accident, a drunk driving conviction, and a jail sentence, Sydney is cast adrift, searching for her place in the family and the world. When everyone else is so worried about Peyton, is she the only one concerned about the victim of the accident?

Enter the Chathams, a warm, chaotic family who run a pizza parlor, play bluegrass on weekends, and pitch in to care for their mother, who has multiple sclerosis. Here Sydney experiences unquestioning acceptance. And here she meets Mac, gentle, watchful, and protective, who makes Sydney feel seen, really seen, for the first time.

The uber-popular Sarah Dessen explores her signature themes of family, self-discovery, and change in her twelfth novel, sure to delight her legions of fans.
 
Sarah Dessen is one of those YA authors at is well-known in the bookish world. I personally haven’t her books, so when the cover of Saint Anything started to float around, I was pulled in. I needed to read it because I was head-over-heels for the cover!

Likes:
  • The more contemporary works I read, the more I enjoy them. I would typically pick books that were more on the dystopian, post-apocalypse genre before I started blogging. I knew that I needed to diversity for my own sake, and to be a well-rounded blogger. I LOVE contemporary right after an intense book and definitely in the summer.
  • Sydney was an interesting main character. I can not imagine growing up in her situation. She was the little sister of a “bad kid” and she lived in his shadow the whole time. For all the times Peyton screwed up, Sydney was the one left to deal with the judgements of her parents and the strict rules that she was forced to follow at all times. She was not even able to make a little mistake without huge consequences.
  • I loved the whole Chatham family. They were so close, so fun and had their own little dramas. In the imperfection, there was love. It was a great family unit. I wanted to be friends with Rosie, hang out at the pizza parlor and Mac, oh Mac. Boy was Mac amazing. I loved his stories, his commitment to his health and the walks in the woods.
  • I would have loved to learn more about Peyton. I thought he was a great character, but wished that he had more page time. I realize that Sydney was the MC, but I wanted to know more about Peyton. It would be awesome to read the book from Peyton’s POV.
Gripes:
  • No real gripes. It was hard to read at points when Syndey’s parents were so awful, but it was realistic.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23009402-saint-anything



 photo Signature smaller.png

5 comments

  1. Sarah Dessen is one of my absolute fave authors. Saint Anything easily put its self as one of my favourites from her. Just Listen is at the top. So I'd suggest that one. :)
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably should have actually read this book when I took it out from the library! Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this book as well, but I really did not like the character of Sydney's mom. I realize we all cope in different ways, but Sydney paid a hefty price for her mom's lack of ability to cope in a healthy manner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same, have never read any of her books, though she does seem to have a big back catalogue. Great review, will check this one out!

    Heather | Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read two Sarah Dessen books and hated them both :/ Even though lots of people seem to like her work! I am hoping to read this recent one and see if I like it more :3

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.