Review of Made You Up

Reality, it turns out, is often not what you perceive it to be—sometimes, there really is someone out to get you. Made You Up tells the story of Alex, a high school senior unable to tell the difference between real life and delusion. This is a compelling and provoking literary debut that will appeal to fans of Wes Anderson, Silver Linings Playbook, and Liar.

Alex fights a daily battle to figure out the difference between reality and delusion. Armed with a take-no-prisoners attitude, her camera, a Magic 8-Ball, and her only ally (her little sister), Alex wages a war against her schizophrenia, determined to stay sane long enough to get into college. She’s pretty optimistic about her chances until classes begin, and she runs into Miles. Didn't she imagine him? Before she knows it, Alex is making friends, going to parties, falling in love, and experiencing all the usual rites of passage for teenagers. But Alex is used to being crazy. She’s not prepared for normal.

Funny, provoking, and ultimately moving, this debut novel featuring the quintessential unreliable narrator will have readers turning the pages and trying to figure out what is real and what is made up.


We read Made you Up for book club, we tend to always lean toward books that are a little more dark and touch on sensitive issues. I was in love with the cover and so excited we picked this one up.

  • I have kinda stood on a soapbox lately about the need for more awareness with mental illness and Made You Up definitely took a in depth view of schizophrenia.
  • I cannot imagine how hard it would be to have your mind constantly fight against the truth. Alex would have to carry around a camera and take pictures when she thought something was amiss with her mind. She was in this spot with knowing that what she was seeing should not be real, but knowing that she was seeing it none-the-less.
  • I really enjoyed Miles. I liked his hard shell and having to break through to get down to who he really is. His character arc was probably my favorite part of the book.
  • I was kept guessing and didn't see the twists and turns. Some of the girls in my book club saw it coming, but I was completely blow away.
  • There was like two story lines in the book and I felt like the one really took away from Alex. I have no idea why the the whole mystery really needed to be in the book. I felt like Alex's story was strong enough to stand on her own.
  • Alex's parents kinda drove me nuts. I felt like they were not helping her, Alex knew who she was and what she was dealing with, but I think her parents still tried too hard to protect her. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17661416-made-you-up

 photo Signature smaller.png

7 comments

  1. Annoying parents is a definite turn off for me when it comes to books. But I’ve heard some good things about this one, and I have it waiting for me on my kindle, so I can’t wait to get to it. Hope I’m blown away like you were! Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also am all over needing more books that shine a spotlight on mental illness. And I've definitely read a few powerful ones this year. I'm impatiently on my library to get this one is so I can read it.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive heard nothing but good things about this one. I'm just waiting to get my hands on it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read reviews telling me to read the book already. It's really nice to read a review that tells me what to be wary of.. Your second point, if that's the case that's really crazy... really difficult life to live. I must get around this soon. Great review, Missie :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review. This one is on my TBR list.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so love the cover of this one, and I've been wanting to read it for quite a while!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that there are a lot more books based around mental illness around at the moment. I feel like I have learnt a lot more, and also all those questions that I am always scared to ask in case its an inappropriate question or in case I offend someone are mostly answered in these books so it really helps people to learn. I don't know all that much about this book, I remember seeing the cover before, but didn't know it's subject matter. It sounds like it would be quite an interesting one. I will have to find the time to check it out at some point.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.