Review of Bloodlines

I wasn't free of my past, not yet.

Sydney's blood is special. That's because she's an alchemist - one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives. But the last encounter Sydney had with vampires got her in deep trouble with the other alchemists. And now with her allegiences in question, her future is on the line.

When Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, at first she thinks she's still being punished for her complicated alliance with dhampir Rose Hathaway. But what unfolds is far worse. Jill Dragomir - the sister of Moroi Queen Lissa Dragomir - is in mortal danger, and the Moroi must send her into hiding. To avoid a civil war, Sydney is called upon to act as Jill's guardian and protector, posing as her roommate in the unlikeliest of places: a human boarding school in Palm Springs, California. The last thing Sydney wants is to be accused of sympathizing with vampires. And now she has to live with one.

The Moroi court believe Jill and Sydney will be safe at Amberwood Prep, but threats, distractions, and forbidden romance lurk both outside - and within - the school grounds. Now that they're in hiding, the drama is only just beginning.

I kinda decided to read this series without realizing that it connected with the Vampire Academy series. It worked out ok that I knew who some of the characters were - Lissa, Rose, Dimitri, ect. but I wasn't sure who Sydney was and how she fit in the whole story. I did finish Bloodlines but ended up going back to the 4th book in the Vampire Academy series, Blood  Promise.

  • I really enjoyed Syndey. I realized how well Richelle Mead does with creating diverse characters who hold their own. I totally loved Rose and felt such a connection with Syndey even though they were two very different people. I loved how she felt suck between what her family stated were her responsibilities and also how she perceived the world. 
  • One of the best parts of the book for me was Sydney's character arc. I still do not know the whole situation between Sydney and Rose, but I liked how Sydney is starting to view the people around her as more than a title or a race, she is starting to see them as real people who are caring, even if they drink blood to survive. 
  • I really enjoy how Richelle does a great job creating full stories within the series. I have said this over and over, like beating a drum, but I really enjoy when each part of a series has a plot and climax, even though it is also part of a series. 
  • Adrian, oh Adrian. Even in the Vampire Academy books, I am draw to him. I am not normally a girl who falls for the bad boys. I will think they are cute, no doubt about that, but I tend to stray away from them in the dating aspect. But Adrian is like a super hot bad boy with a teddy bear inside. 
  • I liked the story itself. It kept me entertained and I liked the twists I did not necessarily see coming. 
  • No major gripes. I really just didn't rate it a 5 because I normally save those for the books I will want to read over and the books that stick to my insides, making their footprint on my heart. (Man I am a HUGE book nerd!)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8709527-bloodlines 



 photo Signature smaller.png

8 comments

  1. I have read all of the Vampire Academy series and I have always toyed with the idea of reading this spin off. I have read nothing but good reviews for it and everyone seems to agree on Adrian. I may have to give it a try in the end!

    Great review! :)

    Alex @ The Shelf Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't started the Vampire Academy series... Give it a moment of silence. *cries*
    I'm waiting for someone to tell me that this is their favorite series ever before I embark on a six book journey plus the spin off series which I probably need to read if I start the series. Awesome review though and I'm so glad that there are swoon worthy boys in this vampire series.

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silly me I had no idea that the Bloodlines series was related to Vampire Academy either. I haven't read either series but I feel like I need to, even if the hype about them has subsided, just because pretty much everyone else has and I feel like I'm missing out! I get what you mean about not giving books 5 stars even if there's nothing wrong with them. I feel like 5 can only go to the best of the best!

    Laura @ What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't actually know that this book was connected to VA at all. I read book one of VA and I didn't really care for it, and bought this one. Maybe I'll still enjoy it! Thanks for this review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still need to start The Bloodlines series. I finished VA forever ago. Maybe this will be the year.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't remember much from this series - I LOVED Vampire Academy, and know how it's tied in a way. I think it's not the stories that are related though - two different arcs, but the characters are still making an appearance. I liked Adrian, but later in the series I don't like him as much anymore (certainly not on the exclusive list of favorites).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost picked this one up at the shop the other day, but realised it was connected to VA and decided I should read that series first. But I am glad you could like this one with no major gripes. It definitely has potential then!

    Check out my recent review: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2015/08/antman-movie-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not read The Vampire Academy series yet (it's on my shelf though!) I'll have to keep this one in mind for when I'm done with them :)

    Great review!

    - Wattle @ Whimsical Nature

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.