Mini Reviews - Me & Earl & the Dying Girl, The Assassin's Blade, and Confess

Greg Gaines is the last master of high school espionage, able to disappear at will into any social environment. He has only one friend, Earl, and together they spend their time making movies, their own incomprehensible versions of Coppola and Herzog cult classics.

Until Greg’s mother forces him to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel.

Rachel has been diagnosed with leukemia—-cue extreme adolescent awkwardness—-but a parental mandate has been issued and must be obeyed. When Rachel stops treatment, Greg and Earl decide the thing to do is to make a film for her, which turns into the Worst Film Ever Made and becomes a turning point in each of their lives.

And all at once Greg must abandon invisibility and stand in the spotlight.
 Me and Earl and the Dying Girl has been on my radar for a while, but I didn’t really decide to read it until I saw the movie trailer. Honestly, I didn’t 100% love it. I think I might like the movie more than the book, which feels like a sin to say. I liked how Greg tried to be friends with everyone and wished that he didn’t feel like he had to lose that status to be friends with Rachel. I think Rachel was the best character in the story and she really got the least book time. I almost wished the focus was more on her rather than on Greg. Earl was also a really interesting character and I feel like he had the better character arc. I would definitely have loved the book if it was from Earl’s POV. I am excited to see the movie and how they flesh out the book.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12700353-me-and-earl-and-the-dying-girl


Celaena Sardothien is Adarlan's most feared assassin. As part of the Assassin's Guild, her allegiance is to her master, Arobynn Hamel, yet Celaena listens to no one and trusts only her fellow killer-for-hire, Sam. In these action-packed novellas - together in one edition for the first time - Celaena embarks on five daring missions. They take her from remote islands to hostile deserts, where she fights to liberate slaves and seeks to avenge the tyrannous. But she is acting against Arobynn's orders and could suffer an unimaginable punishment for such treachery. Will Celaena ever be truly free? Explore the dark underworld of this kick-ass heroine to find out.

 

I cannot wait until Queen of Shadows comes out, so to bide time, I listened to The Assassin’s Blade. It was all five novellas in one book. I really enjoyed learning more about Celaena’s history, especially Sam. I could not believe the way she was treated by her master, and it was so interesting to see how she stood up for her beliefs and worked to save slaves even though it risked her own life. The slow burn between Celaena and Sam was awesome. I know that further on in the story, we have new boys in her life we love (Dorian) but I cannot help but wish there was some more Sam. I think I enjoyed Celaena’s time in the desert the best. And the book definitely made me so much more excited for Queen of Shadows. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18243700-the-assassin-s-blade



Auburn Reed has her entire life mapped out. Her goals are in sight and there’s no room for mistakes. But when she walks into a Dallas art studio in search of a job, she doesn’t expect to find a deep attraction to the enigmatic artist who works there, Owen Gentry.

For once, Auburn takes a risk and puts her heart in control, only to discover Owen is keeping major secrets from coming out. The magnitude of his past threatens to destroy everything important to Auburn, and the only way to get her life back on track is to cut Owen out of it.

The last thing Owen wants is to lose Auburn, but he can’t seem to convince her that truth is sometimes as subjective as art. All he would have to do to save their relationship is confess. But in this case, the confession could be much more destructive than the actual sin…


Confess was my first Colleen Hoover and definitely will not be my last. Both main characters, Auburn and Owen were amazing and the way the stories flowed together was so well done. I listened to the audiobook and felt like it helped me connect even more to the book. Colleen’s writing was flawless and I loved her style. I can definitely see why others have raved about her work. I was a little worried with the NA genre that it would be overly sexualized, but I did not feel that way at all. Both Auburn and Owen had a lot of baggage, but neither of them really did anything bad to get that baggage. It was almost like bad luck or bad timing and caring too much. The coolest part of the story were Owen’s secrets. It was like PostSecret mixed with art. I really wish I could have been his images come to life. Sometimes it is so hard to confess all your secrets, but in this case, it was exactly what was needed.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22609310-confess

 photo Signature smaller.png

8 comments

  1. Great mini reviews. I liked Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. I’m curious to see how it translates to movie form.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I'm glad you enjoyed Confess! That will also be my first Colleen Hoover novel, and pretty much my first NA in a while. Really really glad to see it wasn't oversexualized!

    Awesome reviews Missie! Sad to see Me, Earl and the Dying Girl wasn't as good as you thought it was going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CoHo! YAY I'm so happy you read one of her books. Maybe Someday is easily my favourite of hers. One of my favourite books actually. I recommend it next. :)
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your review for Me and Earl. It just didn't hit the mark for me, probably because Greg is so full of himself and cannot see from others' perspectives. Meh. I would watch the movie, the trailers already look better than the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really nervous about reading Me Earl and The Dying Girl--for some reason I think it's going to offend me! Nice reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am biding my time before Queen of Shadows comes out. I cannot wait! I have The Assassins Blade on my TBR. I am so glad you enjoyed it. Usually I am not a huge fan of short story collections but I will definitely give that one a try! :)

    I have Me, Earl and the Dying Girl on my TBR too. I have heard so many mixed things about it. I am still glad you enjoyed it mostly though!

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend! :)



    Alex @ The Shelf Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all some really popular books. I am not sure about Confess by Colleen Hoover but I have never tried a book by that author. When I do I want it to be a different one I think, but I will bear that one in mind. I never knew Assassin's Blade was such a good book so I am going to have to look into that one a bit more. And I would like to try Me, Early and the Dying Girl before I go see the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Me and Earl and the Dying Girl because it kept me laughing pretty much the whole time. I agree with you that Earl is the most interesting character in the book, but I enjoyed Greg too. I felt like Andrews did a good job at portraying all the emotions that Greg would be experiencing after finding out a former friend had cancer.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.