Your greatest enemy isn't what you fight, but what you fear.
Elizabeth Grey is one of the king's best witch hunters, devoted to rooting out witchcraft and doling out justice. But when she's accused of being a witch herself, Elizabeth is arrested and sentenced to burn at the stake.
Salvation comes from a man she thought was her enemy. Nicholas Perevil, the most powerful and dangerous wizard in the kingdom, offers her a deal: he will save her from execution if she can break the deadly curse that's been laid upon him.
But Nicholas and his followers know nothing of Elizabeth's witch hunting past--if they find out, the stake will be the least of her worries. And as she's thrust into the magical world of witches, ghosts, pirates, and one all-too-handsome healer, Elizabeth is forced to redefine her ideas of right and wrong, of friends and enemies, and of love and hate.
Virginia Boecker weaves a riveting tale of magic, betrayal, and sacrifice in this unforgettable fantasy debut.
- The story was unique, new and refreshing. I loved that it was about the normal “fantasy” characters – witches, the undead, creatures, ect, but it didn’t feel like anything I had read before. The writing was amazing. Virginia Boecker, I bow down to you. I loved the writing, the style and the plot. I would love to sit down and have coffee with her someday! Very inspiring.
- Characters. I cannot say enough about her characters. They were all so well-developed, even the side characters. I loved Elizabeth’s character arc and her timeline.
- Swoon girls, swoon. John. I just want to reach into the book and pull him out (let’s not tell my husband about this). It was definitely love at first word with John. He is MY OTP! Back off ladies, he is taken!
- I cannot wait to see how this series goes. I have to tell you that one reason I admired and loved this first book so much was that it was a full story. There was a complete plot and climax, but it also lead right into the rest of the series. That is high on my needs list for series I love.
- Nicola was an amazing narrator. I actually searched for more books that she narrated just because I enjoyed listening to her story telling so much.
- Are you kidding?! There is nothing I can say bad here. FIVE STARS!