Review of The Witch Hunter

The magic and suspense of Graceling meet the political intrigue and unrest of Game of Thrones in this riveting fantasy debut.

Your greatest enemy isn't what you fight, but what you fear.

Elizabeth Grey is one of the king's best witch hunters, devoted to rooting out witchcraft and doling out justice. But when she's accused of being a witch herself, Elizabeth is arrested and sentenced to burn at the stake.

Salvation comes from a man she thought was her enemy. Nicholas Perevil, the most powerful and dangerous wizard in the kingdom, offers her a deal: he will save her from execution if she can break the deadly curse that's been laid upon him.

But Nicholas and his followers know nothing of Elizabeth's witch hunting past--if they find out, the stake will be the least of her worries. And as she's thrust into the magical world of witches, ghosts, pirates, and one all-too-handsome healer, Elizabeth is forced to redefine her ideas of right and wrong, of friends and enemies, and of love and hate.

Virginia Boecker weaves a riveting tale of magic, betrayal, and sacrifice in this unforgettable fantasy debut.

I cannot believe how much I loved The Witch Hunter. I could not put it down. I listened to it every free minute I could, even sitting in my car longer than I needed to just so I could get a couple more sentences. I NEED the rest of the series right now. I must binge. The audiobook was read by Nicola Barber and was 10 hours, 4 minutes long.


  • The story was unique, new and refreshing. I loved that it was about the normal “fantasy” characters – witches, the undead, creatures, ect, but it didn’t feel like anything I had read before. The writing was amazing. Virginia Boecker, I bow down to you. I loved the writing, the style and the plot. I would love to sit down and have coffee with her someday! Very inspiring.
  • Characters. I cannot say enough about her characters. They were all so well-developed, even the side characters. I loved Elizabeth’s character arc and her timeline.
  • Swoon girls, swoon. John. I just want to reach into the book and pull him out (let’s not tell my husband about this). It was definitely love at first word with John. He is MY OTP! Back off ladies, he is taken!
  • I cannot wait to see how this series goes. I have to tell you that one reason I admired and loved this first book so much was that it was a full story. There was a complete plot and climax, but it also lead right into the rest of the series. That is high on my needs list for series I love.
  • Nicola was an amazing narrator. I actually searched for more books that she narrated just because I enjoyed listening to her story telling so much.
  • Are you kidding?! There is nothing I can say bad here. FIVE STARS!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18190208-the-witch-hunter?from_search=true&search_version=service


 photo Signature smaller.png

6 comments

  1. Wow, that's some serious high praise! I had received this book on Netgalley, but wasn't convinced to read it. I'm glad to see such a rave review of it! Now I think I need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So glad you really enjoyed this one :D I’ve heard some mixed reviews, but I’m glad you found no problems with this one. Really looking forward to picking up a copy! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on the fence about this ever since it was released! There are so many mixed reviews on this title, that it kind of put me off from purchasing it. I've been reading pretty crappy books lately, so when I heard it was boring and the writing was blah, I immediately thought, " oh hell no. There's no way I'm reading this now! " I guess The Witch Hunter will be one of those books that will nag me until I pick it up. I'm glad you enjoyed it, hopefully I'll have the same experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review, I've seen this book around and was on the fence about trying it. I will definitely be adding it to my TBR list. Thanks!

    Emily @ Follow the Yellow Book Road

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to get my hands on this book! There have been a few negative reviews that I've come across, but yours has me excited all over again. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup! So good! I love John also. But you're right, the characters are awesome! Best part of the book.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.