Review of The Summer I Turned Pretty

Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along.


I was on a bit of a Jenny Han binge a bit ago and read / listened to To All the Boys I've Loved Before and P.S. I Still Love You, followed by The Summer I Turned Pretty. I really enjoy Jenny's writing style and they are great summer reads. The audiobook was read by Jessica Almasy and was 6 hours, 56 minutes long.


  • I enjoyed the main character and the setting a lot. There is that weird line with family friends, like your parents automatically think that you should be with their kids when you grow up, because everyone would stay together and it would be a happy little community. I know how many times I have told a friend that their son or daughter should marry one of my other friend's child before they could even walk. So when Belly's character was developed, the storyline made sense for me.
  • I think I loved the intense back story even more than I did the actual plot of the book. The drama and situations between Belly's mother and Conrad's mother were deep issues that really held the backbone of the story. I think it would be an awesome story to see the POV from Conrad's mother instead of from the children.
  • Oh Conrad and Jeremiah. Swoon. These boys, their tasty tan bodies and highly different personalities. I think I would be like Belly and go for Conrad, but know that Jeremiah is the more perfect one for me. I am not necessarily the girl that goes for the bad boy, but in this book, Conrad just seemed so deep.
  • Man, I just wanted to jump into the setting of this book. I wanted to live at the beach house and go down to the boardwalk. It really sounded like there was not a care in the world. Obviously, that is not the truth, but a girl can dream.


  • Oh man, all the back and forth and ups and downs. I remember being young and I remember the drama, but man, I don't really remember being this all over the place.
  • This is a series, and I really feel like you have to read the entire series to get the full gist. It ends fairly up in the air on the first book. I have read reviews from other bloggers and they have noted that they really don't love the way the third book ends, so that makes me a little leery to even start the series. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5821978-the-summer-i-turned-pretty


 photo Signature smaller.png

6 comments

  1. ohmy, what you said about the ending.. I'd still love to read this series though... I mean just reading that you find the boys swoon worthy and all. Great review, Missie :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think how much you enjoy the last book depends on your ship. But either way, for me, I could have cared less because I just didn't enjoy this series. The black sheep again. :P
    I hope you enjoy the rest of the trilogy!
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate it when you really want to read a book in a series and then you find out that people weren't thrilled with the last book. This is a series that I've really wanted to pick up for a while - SO many books I want to read!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny Han is defintly an author I want to try I just haven't gotten a push to read it yet but I think I'll try it out now cause of this review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two of these, I think. Looking forward to reading them as well as Jenny's 'Love You' duo. Her novels not only look fun, they sound it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol. I'm into drama but there is a thin line for how much I like and dislike. So, we'll see if I like this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.