Review of Rogue

Ember Hill left the dragon organization Talon to take her chances with rebel dragon Cobalt and his crew of rogues. But Ember can't forget the sacrifice made for her by the human boy who could have killed her—Garret Xavier Sebastian, a soldier of the dragonslaying Order of St. George, the boy who saved her from a Talon assassin, knowing that by doing so, he'd signed his own death warrant.

Determined to save Garret from execution, Ember must convince Cobalt to help her break into the Order's headquarters. With assassins after them and Ember's own brother helping Talon with the hunt, the rogues find an unexpected ally in Garret and a new perspective on the underground battle between Talon and St. George.

A reckoning is brewing and the secrets hidden by both sides are shocking and deadly. Soon Ember must decide: Should she retreat to fight another day…or start an all-out war?



I didn't really know much about Talon when I downloaded the audiobook from the library. I feel lucky that I didn't really pay attention to any reviews before listening to it. My dad and I listened to the audiobook while driving back from Montana. It was the perfect time for the drive through Montana to the North Dakota border. After reading some reviews, I realized that I was in the minority. There seemed to be, sadly, a lot more negative reviews. I think it is definitely one of those series where you really have to let your imagination take control and enjoy the fantasy. I was so blessed to get an advanced copy of Rouge. I really enjoyed it as well, feeling like the story gotten more intense and meaty. 
 
  • Ember and Dante's story gets so much thicker now that Ember has decided to go rouge. I cannot imagine being in Dante's shoes and having to catch his own sister to punish her for leaving Talon. I would have to really consider why my own sister left and maybe rethink things rather than just work for "the man" and do what he says. 
  • There is a love triangle, but it doesn't bother me as much as normal. The fantasy aspect really changes a love triangle, especially when it is between a human and a dragon. 
  • The plot was high action with lots of twists and turns, I brought it with for a short road trip to the lake and I loved how it kept me going and felt like the time in the car was short. I liked that I was surprised a few times. As a big reader, it is so easy to feel like there is a lack of creativity and that a lot of stories are predictable, but I did not get that feeling with Rouge. 
  • I really liked Ember. I like that she doesn't really know what she wants or who she is. She knows that she does not want to be a murderer, but other than that, she still has more to figure out. I think the struggle to figure out who we are is a lifetime process and I really like how realistic Ember's character was written. There was even a point at the hotel where she was practically crawling out of her skin and needed to get out - I have totally felt that. Ember was very relate-able, other than the fact that she is a dragon. 
  • Oh Garret - I would definitely to say that I was shipping Garret and Ember. I always love romance that crosses boundaries that seem uncrossable. Love that doesn't judge. 

  • I didn't ever read Fifty Shades of Grey, but I did read a bit of it and could not get over all the times the main characters "inner goddess" was mentioned. It drove me insane. Well, a few times in Rouge I went down the same path. I did cringe a couple times with the mention of Ember's "inner dragon." I am not sure if it just reminded me too much of Fifty Shades or if it was just not done in the best way. 
 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23168406-rogue



 photo Signature smaller.png

7 comments

  1. I haven't read Talon but this sounds like a decent read. Great review, totally helps me decide because...love. I'm all for shipping a new couple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL i love how you mentioned the "inner goddess" thing! Hour of truth: i did read fifty shades and liked it (not a fan of some of the things in it, but i won't get into that) but i literally cringed everytime i read that line. it's weird, and i liken the phrase to my least favorite word "moist." LOL. great review! i haven't read Talon yet, but i can't wait to get my hands on a copy of it one day so i can start this series! i've heard nothing but great things about it!
    http://www.wholly-books.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Talon, but seeing your review of this one makes me want to pick up the first book in this series. I haven't been interested in any dragon books since I read Eragon, but this one looks good! I also find the 'inner goddess'/''inner dragon' thing cringy, maybe I'll just skip over those bits! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gripe made me laugh out loud! I so did not enjoy 50 Shades!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still haven't read Talon yet, but I have heard mainly mixed reviews about it so I'm hesitating on it if I should try it or not .. the concept sounds amazing. <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit to being one of the people who hated Talon, my review of that was not at all pleasant. I don't think I could even try reading this one. The whole inner dragon thing reminded me of Fifty Shades as well, I don't think I could deal with more of that. I'm happy you are enjoying this series though, I know that Cait over at Paper Fury absolutely loved Talon as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Julie Kagawa. Well I love her Iron Fey series. I know that one gets a lot of mixed reviews as well. But that's how it goes. I need to get to Talon. But I'm waiting until the series is complete. I'm glad you thoroughly enjoyed the books though. That's a few of my trusted blogger friends that have. :)
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.