Review of Red Queen

The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?


As a cover lover, I could not wait to get my hands on the Red Queen. I honestly didn't even read the synopsis. I wanted that cover no matter what. Reviews started flooding in and they were mixed. I still couldn't wait to get my hands on it and luckily the library had an audiobook waiting just for me. The audiobook was read by Amanda Dolan and was 12 hours, 42 minutes long.

  • I have heard that with the immense amount of young adult books on the market, it is hard to have individuality. I agree that you can easily find references or similarities to other popular YA novels, but then again, it comes with the genre too. I thought that as many similarities, there was still enough uniqueness for the book to stand on it's own two feet.
  • I always am a sucker for a book with super powers. Whether it be a little magic or a special talent - I would assume that I am not alone in saying that I would love a little talent in myself.
  • The boys in the book - man, there were three of them and at multiple points it was like a love triangle situation, then not so much, and then again. I am normally very against love triangles and would have definitely put it in the gripe category until I got to the end of the book. It is definitely a book that requires the whole story before you make a judgement.
  • There are a lot of things going on in this book and with Mare being part of both worlds, it gave a unique perspective to the book. Mare was both part of the red world and silver, including a bird's eye view to the politics, lies, intrigue and discrimination. I know that happens a lot - let's say with Katniss in The Hunger Games, but I thought that it was a good way to involve the reds in the silver world. Mare could see how being a silver might not be as amazing as she once thought it would be.
  • The love interests in this book - there was some development and that desire, a bit of slow burn, but I am really hoping that it is expounded in the next book. I don't always have to have a romance, but I feel like this one could really go somewhere.
  • I do not want to give any spoilers and ruin any part of the story for you, but I do have to admit I was fooled. There was one part of the story I did not see coming and as much as it cut to the core, I loved it.
  • I enjoyed the writing and the pacing. As a debut novel, Victoria Aveyard did an amazing job. With her entrance being so well done, I am excited to see what she brings us in the future.

  • The book ended when I was really getting into it. I am excited to continue with the series, but I just wanted a bit more excitement in this one. The ending felt a bit rushed for me.
  • The book was a bit predictable. I believe that does come because of the immersion of dystopian books in the market. I am hoping that with the next part of the series it will start to take on more of it's own voice. 


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17878931-red-queen


 photo Signature smaller.png

11 comments

  1. I can’t wait to read this one. It gets really mixed reviews, but it sounds so interesting.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one! I do agree that some bits were predictable but I just totally went with the flow with this book. Great review–so glad you liked it and I can’t wait for the next book! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I do love that quote you posted! I really enjoyed The Red Queen, even if there are plenty of people willing to pick it apart because they think it too closely resembles other YA books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed this book! The cover is beautiful!! I really liked the powers in this book and I too found it predictable but in the end it was an OKAY read for me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed this! I have a copy and I'd love to read it soon. Especially since the next book is on the horizon, or will be soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had a review copy of this one for a while. I really hope I enjoy it, it's been so hyped up. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pre buzz on this one was insane. Which definitely made me really excited(and yes that cover helped too). But when the mixed reviews started coming out I lost interest. I of course still bought it. And will get to it, but I think not until the second book is out. Like you mentioned and I've heard a lot, it doesn't really pick up till the end.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. Books with super powers always interest me too. This one was especially fun, but I hope the next book branches out with a bit more originality!

    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. The super power aspect sounds nice but sorry to hear that it didn't have the best of ending places

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds really good. Like you, I've heard mixed thoughts/reviews, but your review seems generally positive. Now I'm excited (again) to read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since the book really started to take off in the latter portion, we can only hope that this is one that will develop to be even better as the series goes on. I have seen a lot of mixed reviews, and am planning to find out for myself at some point.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.