Review of Lying Out Loud

Kody Keplinger returns to the world of The DUFF in this brand-new companion novel!

Sonny Ardmore is an excellent liar. She lies about her dad being in prison. She lies about her mom kicking her out. And she lies about sneaking into her best friend's house every night because she has nowhere else to go.

Amy Rush might be the only person Sonny shares everything with— secrets, clothes, even a nemesis named Ryder Cross.

Ryder's the new kid at Hamilton High and everything Sonny and Amy can't stand—a prep-school snob. But Ryder has a weakness: Amy. So when Ryder emails Amy asking her out, the friends see it as a prank opportunity not to be missed.

But without meaning to, Sonny ends up talking to Ryder all night online. And to her horror, she realizes that she might actually like him. Only there's one small catch: he thinks he's been talking to Amy. So Sonny comes up with an elaborate scheme to help Ryder realize that she's the girl he's really wanted all along. Can Sonny lie her way to the truth, or will all her lies end up costing her both Ryder and Amy?


I enjoyed Duff, but I wasn't completely sold on the story. I didn't really enjoy a few of the aspects, but I decided to give Lying Out Loud a chance. I am glad I did, because I enjoyed it a lot more than Duff.
 
  • I think the story is very relate-able. High school is that time where we all feel like we need to fit in, we need to impress and feel as though we are the same as our classmates. As sad as this is, it is still as true as when I was in high school. Sonny definitely feels she needs to hide her rough family life and lack of income.
  • I enjoyed Sonny, I liked her witty personality and the "real" her when she decided to show it. She loved 90s grunge, she was funny and honest. But that was only when she let her guard down.
  • The side characters, Ryder and Amy a lot. I can understand Ryder's POV and how he is reacting to his new home. Sometimes when we don't understand the full picture, it is easy to make assumptions that distance us from our families. With the drama going on within Ryder family, he felt like he was in the wrong, when his own mother was actually protecting him.
  • Amy was so wholesome. I loved her gentle, honest personality. She was such a caring friend, but she did have to learn to stand up for herself. As much as the book was about Sonny, I really think that Amy's progression and growth in the book made her my favorite character.
  • Amy's parents were amazing in the book, they were caring and present. I know I bring this up a lot, but I do think that it is a great addition to a young adult story. Families are so important, especially parents or guardians who are present and care about their children.
 
  • No real gripes, the book was interesting and had great pacing, but didn't move mountains or anything like that. It was enjoyable, but I probably will not re-read it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23361244-lying-out-loud


 photo Signature smaller.png

6 comments

  1. I'm a little of the opposite, I loved The Duff and nothing has been able to quite compare. I am, however, very intrigued by this one. Keplinger has a way of making generic synopsis meaningful in her writing. I'm glad to see that you also liked the characters. Great review.

    -Mari

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it is a companion novel, would you say you have to read The Duff first to enjoy this one? I have The Duff somewhere since I pulled it out of my sister's donation pile a while back but I haven't gotten to it yet. And I'm not sure where it ended up..never move without your bookshelves, it does not end well.

    Dreams @ Once Upon A Dream Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great read. I have seen this, but somehow missed that it was actually a second to Duff... Which I haven't read yet, by the way. Thanks for your great review, Missie. I am glad that you gave this a chance after not being taken in by DUFF and ended up liking it that much more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have not read The DUFF. I tried to, years ago, but wasn't interested. I've been told I need to give it another go though. Maybe starting here would be a better bet?
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you enjoyed this one! I need to make time to read it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read The Duff but I want to. I seen the movie and enjoyed it! I might want to check this one out after! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.