Review of Boring Girls

Rachel feels like she doesn’t fit in — until she finds heavy metal and meets Fern, a kindred spirit. The two form their own band, but the metal scene turns out to be no different than the misogynist world they want to change. Violent encounters escalate, and the friends decide there’s only one way forward . . .

A bloodstained journey into the dark heart of the music industry, Boring Girls traces Rachel’s deadly coming-of-age, Fern at her side — as the madness deepens, their band’s success heightens, and their taste for revenge grows ravenous.
 





I read the synopsis of Boring Girls on a fellow bloggers post and the fact that she rated it so highly, I commented that I needed to read it. I felt so blessed when the publisher contacted me and asked if I wanted a copy of the book to read.
 
  • I would definitely say that this is the most unique book I have read lately, there is nothing else I could even compare it to.
  • The book was so dark and touched on some tough topics, but not in a way that tried to idolize or diminish them. It was just there, such as they are in life.
  • I enjoyed the writing a lot. I actually read this book in one day, starting it at lunch and then finishing the rest after work. It had great pacing and kept me moving through the story, invested in the main character.
  • Rachel's character arc has to be one of the most complex progressions I have read. She went from being shy, an artsy loner to a music star, front runner and leader of her own band. Plus, she really started to figure out who she was an what she wanted out of life. Well, kinda.
  • The synopsis was so different than what I actually felt while I was reading. The book started with this whole description about being a serial killer and I was way thrown off. I should have maybe figured it out from the "bloodstained journey" comment, but I was more thinking it was just a realistic, dark journey in the metal music world. I think being so thrown off, and then "let in" on the ending at the beginning really made me devour this read.
  • I love how the author really used her background to enhance her book. Sara sings and writes songs for The Birthday Massacre. Honestly, I have not heard anything, so I am definitely going to check out her music too!
 
  • I want more - I would love to know what happens next, how life completely changes for Rachel. I don't want to spoil anything, but if you have read the book, I am sure that you know what I am thinking! 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22750458-boring-girls




 photo Signature smaller.png

11 comments

  1. Wow! This sounds like it could be worth checking out, it sounds like an excellent read!

    Heather @ Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even heard of this book before, but now you have me desperate to read it!!!! :) I love the way you set out your reviews as well, by listing the things you like and dislike. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never would have thought to pick this up, because the title does NOT make me want to read it. But your glowing review does!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh this book sounds so intriguing! And your review makes me want to read it too! <3

    -Kimi at Geeky Chiquitas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh this book sounds so intriguing! And your review makes me want to read it too! <3

    -Kimi at Geeky Chiquitas

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not heard of this one before, but it sure does sound interesting :) It's definitely different than what I thought it would be, judging by that title. Great review!

    - Wattle @ Whimsical Nature

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not really heard about this one before. But you've made me want to know the secret or what this book is really about. Hopefully my library has it!
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very very intriguing. I have to check out the library and see if they have it! Great review, totally sold me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like it's up my alley! I might need to get my hands on it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a book that surprises you and gives you something you've not had before. It sounds like a great read! I will add it to my wishlist! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really want to read this one! It sounds fantastic, and it's always nice to hear someone's main qualm being that they want more! :)

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.