Rachel feels like she doesn’t fit in — until she finds heavy metal and meets Fern, a kindred spirit. The two form their own band, but the metal scene turns out to be no different than the misogynist world they want to change. Violent encounters escalate, and the friends decide there’s only one way forward . . .
A bloodstained journey into the dark heart of the music industry, Boring Girls traces Rachel’s deadly coming-of-age, Fern at her side — as the madness deepens, their band’s success heightens, and their taste for revenge grows ravenous.
- I would definitely say that this is the most unique book I have read lately, there is nothing else I could even compare it to.
- The book was so dark and touched on some tough topics, but not in a way that tried to idolize or diminish them. It was just there, such as they are in life.
- I enjoyed the writing a lot. I actually read this book in one day, starting it at lunch and then finishing the rest after work. It had great pacing and kept me moving through the story, invested in the main character.
- Rachel's character arc has to be one of the most complex progressions I have read. She went from being shy, an artsy loner to a music star, front runner and leader of her own band. Plus, she really started to figure out who she was an what she wanted out of life. Well, kinda.
- The synopsis was so different than what I actually felt while I was reading. The book started with this whole description about being a serial killer and I was way thrown off. I should have maybe figured it out from the "bloodstained journey" comment, but I was more thinking it was just a realistic, dark journey in the metal music world. I think being so thrown off, and then "let in" on the ending at the beginning really made me devour this read.
- I love how the author really used her background to enhance her book. Sara sings and writes songs for The Birthday Massacre. Honestly, I have not heard anything, so I am definitely going to check out her music too!
- I want more - I would love to know what happens next, how life completely changes for Rachel. I don't want to spoil anything, but if you have read the book, I am sure that you know what I am thinking!