Review of Big Little Lies

Big Little Lies follows three women, each at a crossroads:

Madeline is a force to be reckoned with. She’s funny and biting, passionate, she remembers everything and forgives no one. Her ex-husband and his yogi new wife have moved into her beloved beachside community, and their daughter is in the same kindergarten class as Madeline’s youngest (how is this possible?). And to top it all off, Madeline’s teenage daughter seems to be choosing Madeline’s ex-husband over her. (How. Is. This. Possible?).

Celeste is the kind of beautiful woman who makes the world stop and stare. While she may seem a bit flustered at times, who wouldn’t be, with those rambunctious twin boys? Now that the boys are starting school, Celeste and her husband look set to become the king and queen of the school parent body. But royalty often comes at a price, and Celeste is grappling with how much more she is willing to pay.

New to town, single mom Jane is so young that another mother mistakes her for the nanny. Jane is sad beyond her years and harbors secret doubts about her son. But why? While Madeline and Celeste soon take Jane under their wing, none of them realizes how the arrival of Jane and her inscrutable little boy will affect them all.


Big Little Lies is a brilliant take on ex-husbands and second wives, mothers and daughters, schoolyard scandal, and the dangerous little lies we tell ourselves just to survive.


When I started writing my review for The Husband's Secret, I realized that I somehow forgot to write a review for Big Little Lies. Big Little Lies was our book club pick for February. The girls had already read The Husband's Secret and were excited to get into Big Little Lies.

  • The set-up for the story, for the mystery, was completely unique. We get present day information in an interview style, and then we  get past information from our characters. 
  • Like I said for my review of The Husband's Secrets, Liane's characters are so raw, honest and real. I love them. I feel like they are instantly relate-able and you connect with the story. 
  • The school was intense, more intense are the helicopter parents. I could not imagine dealing with all those politics, the kids threatening and hiding at such a young age. Although, if that is what you see, it is easy to emulate. 
  • I loved Jane, she was the outsider and dealt with so much crap. But she was strong, a great mother and trying to fit in. I loved how her story all worked out in the end.
  • I am not sure if Liane blocks out her whole story or if she just writes on the spur of the moment, but I love the way her stories all wind together, they weave in and out and complete a circle. 
  • The ending was awesome. I don't want to spoil anything, but I loved the way it ended.


  • The only major gripe I had was pacing. I felt like this one took me forever to read. I struggled with it for two weeks, which is not normal for me. Although, others in the book club did not have the same issue I did. Quite a few of them ate it up. I enjoyed the story and do recommend it, but I think out of The Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies, I liked The Husband's Secret better.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19486412-big-little-lies









 photo Signature smaller.png

5 comments

  1. Great review! I won this one in a goodreads giveaway and had it on my shelf for quite awhile! I need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guh. I really want to get to this one soon.Like July at the latest. Make me have time for it, Missie! :)
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to read this one. I really, really tried, but I had the same problem with pacing. It just seemed to drag on and on. I think I gave up on it around 15%? Maybe? I do want to go back and actually finish it (especially since it's supposed to be made into a limited series), but I don't know if I'll be able to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love getting different people's takes on books! I preferred Big Little Lies over The Husband's Secret, largely because I felt the wrap up was a little more believable to me. Overall, I find the Moriarty wraps up her novels a little too neatly for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't mind giving this book a try at some point, but I have been a bit leery. Liane Moriarty seems to write books where the pacing is a consistent problem for me. To bad, really, since her story lines are so good. I am glad that you liked it well enough after spending two week with it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.