Review of 1984

Written in 1948, 1984 was George Orwell's chilling prophecy about the future.

While 1984 has come and gone, Orwell's narrative is more timely than ever. 1984 presents a "negative utopia", that is at once a startling and haunting vision of the world — so powerful that it's completely convincing from start to finish. No one can deny the power of this novel, its hold on the imaginations of entire generations of readers, or the resiliency of its admonitions — a legacy that seems to grow, not lessen, with the passage of time.
I love dystopian. I think for a complete year that it all I read. I ate books like The Hunger Games, Divergent, Legend, ect for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I was pretty sure the world was going to end by the end of the year. I can easily become obsessed with a genre. A friend mentioned that he was surprised that I hadn't read 1984 since it was such a classic in the genre. I realized that I really should read it, I can't call myself a addict in the genre unless I added it to my read pile. I decided to go with the audiobook version. The audiobook was read by Simon Prebble and was 11 hours, 24 minutes long.

  • Winston was pretty amazing. I feel like he has to be one of the most well-developed characters I have encountered in a long time. He had such a strong personality, diverse history and iron will. You were instantly drawn into the book because of his monologue.
  • Big Brother was creepy as hell. He was everywhere and yet no one really knew who or what he really was. I cannot imagine every moment of your life being recorded, listened to and monitored.
  • The caste system in the book was unique. It wasn't really well played out, I would have liked to know more about the each of the castes.
  • I think it is so interesting how much insight Orwell had into the future. I cannot believe how accurate he is with the technology that we are using now. Heck, we are experiencing "big brother" in real time. With the amount of monitoring that our electronics make as capable, it is like Orwell could see into the future. The imagination in that man had to blow people away in 1949. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when he talked about his ideas at a party. I can see him with a glass of scotch in his hand explaining Big Brother to his guests. Even though the government has always been good at suppressing things - like the prohibition they just lived through, it would still be a far off concept with the technology he was describing.
  • The book was so much of a broken spirit, the relentless denial of human truth. Always being at war, always unsafe from your neighbor. Never knowing who you can trust, so you put your trust in the person who speaks the loudest, who promises the most even though they never deliver. Every single human need controlled by the government. Wowizers. 


  • I love a good romance as much as the next girl. An amazing OTP always sweeps me off my feet, but I don't feel it is necessary in all reads. I am totally cool with an awesomely written book without a hint of love. That being said, with the introduction of a reckless romance in 1984, I wanted more. I wanted a little more slow burn, a lot more intrigue. I wanted a lot more after it "ended." It was just gone, like the story shifted and we never really got to go back in the other direction.
  • As amazing as the writing and the story itself was, I feel like the way it was written was so distant. I felt like I was kept at an arms-length through the whole book and I could not become part of the story. Maybe that was the point, a tactic to get the feeling of the book. But I always like to connect.  


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5470.1984


 photo Signature smaller.png

9 comments

  1. Great review. I enjoyed this book, but not as much as some of the other classic dystopias. I liked Brave New World better.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read this! I somehow got out of reading it in school, and I have a copy of it sitting on my bookshelves, so it's just a matter of going ahead and reading it. Thanks for a great review, since that will definitely help motivate me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've started this book on a couple of different occasions, but still haven't gotten through it. I WANT to like it, but ...

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was part of an extract of the play version of this book (I totally forgot who I played) but it really made me want to read this book. Big Brother IS creepy as hell, totally agree with you on that. Animal Farm by Orwell was a pretty great book and I do love his essays so I definitely should pick this one up soon. Glad you kinda liked it, despite the few issues with the book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I haven't read this book since my high school years. I am definitely adding this to my summer TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one classic I desperately want to read! I've actually wanted to read it since high school, but just never got around to it! Hopefully I will pick it up soon. :)
    xo Rosie Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go you for reading a classic! I've tried to read this one a couple of times, but I got bored. Although I did like Animal Farm. One day I will try again. Brave New World is like the grandfather for dystopian. Maybe give that one a go? I got like 80 pages in a few years ago and gave up. It was confusing as hell. But maybe you'll have better luck.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of those classics I can't believe I haven't read yet...but on the other hand, it sounds so realistic and depressing. Maybe audio is the way to go. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You at least liked this better than I did. I hated it. Admittedly, it has been awhile, and I often wonder about going back and reading this among a few others that I read early on. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.