DNF - An Ember in the Ashes

I WILL TELL YOU THE SAME THING I TELL EVERY SLAVE.

THE RESISTANCE HAS TRIED TO PENETRATE THIS SCHOOL COUNTLESS TIMES. I HAVE DISCOVERED IT EVERY TIME.

IF YOU ARE WORKING WITH THE RESISTANCE, IF YOU CONTACT THEM, IF YOU THINK OF CONTACTING THEM, I WILL KNOW

AND I WILL DESTROY YOU.

Laia is a slave.
Elias is a soldier.
Neither is free.

Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.

It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.

But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.

There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself.


 
This one was so hyped and I thought it would be right up my alley. I made it almost half way through the book and I was bored. I liked Elias's chapters but I was bored with Laia's. There was so much premise for amazingness, but I could not continue. I would love to know the end of the story, I just don't want to stick to it to find out.

Don't just trust me - my opinion is not in the majority! 94% of people enjoyed it, I just happened to be one of the 6%. Here are the Goodreads stats!

 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22529162-an-ember-in-the-ashes


 photo Signature smaller.png

13 comments

  1. Me and you both. Me and you both... Sucks being the black sheep. But it happens. I still can't understand where all amazing hype is coming from. It was such a chore to get myself to 43%. *shrugs*
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve been debating over reading this one. Everybody seems to love it, but I’m not sure if it’s my type of book.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually loved it. Some books are not for everybody, but I can respect your opinion. Not everyone is going to love the same types of books. It happens. Oh well.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not read it yet, it does seem to be everywhere. If we all liked the same thing, the world would be a boring place!

    Heather @ Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard you either love it or hate it, so don't feel too bad:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a shame that this one was a miss for you, girl! I have read few mixed reviews on this one so I'll definitely go in with caution.

    Nice review, girl <33

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry this didn't work out for you! I've been seeing so much buzz for this book and a lot of comparisons to some other fantasy novels that I loved, but I've been disappointed by heavily hyped books before, so I think I'll wait until it's available at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah, really? I just started this book and it's really intense but maybe the plot was stretched over too many pages? Guess I'll just have to see but nice to see a different opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read it yet, but it wasn't really grabbing for my attention, if that makes sense. I have a feeling I would join your 6% if I picked it up. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hype often leads to disappointment for me. I have seen a couple of mixed reviews, but this is the first I have heard of it being a DNF. I often find myself in the minority with buzz books too. Too bad this didn't work out. Statistically speaking, that is one less cruddy read on your TBR. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm interesting! I have this book but just haven't even touched it (which is sad because I preordered it). I don't know when I get to it, but I'm hoping I'll have a better time than you did!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually just got this one from the library. Too bad you didn't like it! Onto the next.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know what the sad thing is? Everyone I follow either DNF or rated this one low. I think there are enough positive reviews that I still want to give this book a try, but I'm not in a big hurry to do so.

    Dreams @ Once Upon A Dream Books

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.