Review of A Thousand Pieces of You

 Every Day meets Cloud Atlas in this heart-racing, space- and time-bending, epic new trilogy from New York Times bestselling author Claudia Gray.

Marguerite Caine’s physicist parents are known for their radical scientific achievements. Their most astonishing invention: the Firebird, which allows users to jump into parallel universes, some vastly altered from our own. But when Marguerite’s father is murdered, the killer—her parent’s handsome and enigmatic assistant Paul—escapes into another dimension before the law can touch him.

Marguerite can’t let the man who destroyed her family go free, and she races after Paul through different universes, where their lives entangle in increasingly familiar ways. With each encounter she begins to question Paul’s guilt—and her own heart. Soon she discovers the truth behind her father’s death is more sinister than she ever could have imagined.

A Thousand Pieces of You explores a reality where we witness the countless other lives we might lead in an amazingly intricate multiverse, and ask whether, amid infinite possibilities, one love can endure.
 
There is that saying, "don't judge a book by it's cover," but I did and in this case, it worked for me. This cover was so amazing, like art work. I could easily frame in on my wall. I didn't read the synopsis and picked it up off blind faith. I really enjoyed the story. I was expecting a contemporary story and came up with a interesting science fiction, fantasy twist.


  • I loved the unique story. It was unlike anything I have read before and I was so in love with the aspect of dimension travel, it was like time travel with a cool twist. When the characters time traveled, they went into themselves in a different dimension. The person in the other dimension was like you, personality-wise, but they made different choices or walked down different paths. I loved the idea that there are other mes in different dimensions that are walking paths different than I am now.
  • I loved the characters in the story. Marguerite was an awesome main character, but then I also loved her parents and sister a lot. Her parents were like absent-minded professors that still loved their family and were awesome parents. Plus, I liked the boys, the students who were helping her parents with research, they made an interesting team.
  • I loved the dimension in Russia the best, it was the largest dimension in the story, which I am glad, because I could have gone with a whole book in the time period. I loved the density of the relationships, especially with Marguerite's father and Paul. I would love to get myself a Firebird and see the other sides of me.


  • There is this whole situation with Marguerite was out of left field. I just didn't understand why there wasn't more details on what happened, how it happened and why. Since this book is a series, I felt like it should have been expounded on. It was like a blimp in the book and it should have been more. I am hoping that they say more in the next book.
  • The love triangle seemed so wishy-washy to me. I just didn't understand why it needed to be in the book. I think it could have been one sided on some parts and then more confusing with the other, but it was a constant flip-flop. Why does it always have to be so confusing?! Why do love triangles still smother the pages of our favorite reads when readers call them out all the time. The one is in this book was not needed, there was enough confusion, betrayal and trust issues to cover a good plot.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17234658-a-thousand-pieces-of-you







 photo Signature smaller.png

8 comments

  1. glad to hear you liked this one! the reason i was originally drawn to this at first too, was for its cover. i am REALLY interested in the whole aspect of the different dimensions! great review!
    http://www.wholly-books.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I would totally frame this cover as well. I was totally interested in the book, but I definitely bought it because of the cover. 4* is a good rating though. I cannot wait to get to this.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, four stars is great! I think I didn't really like this one (to be honest, I can't remember) - I know I felt unimpressed. I don't think I'll be reading the next book, but I might want spoilers >:D

    Excellent review, Missie!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked this one (and I’m totally with you on the whole judge a book by its cover–THIS ONE IS GORGEOUS)! Can’t wait to start this one :) Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have wanted to read this for the longest time. It sounds so good. I wonder why so many authors feel the need to put senseless love triangle into a story. I really don't hate love triangles, but it is strange to have one just for the hell of it. Authors have got to have heard by now that readers don't like them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cover is amazing! I've heard mixed reviews about this one so I've been putting off reading it. I have to agree with the love triangle issue though, its so annoying but I guess it adds drama to the book? :P

    Ee Hwee @ Bursting Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to see you liked this one! I've wanted to read it for the longest time but I still haven't gotten around to it. Hopefully I will read it soon! Great review.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this one and personally loved it. I know it was flawed in some ways but I loved the points I loved about it quite a lot! As you already said, that cover is gorgeous. I read an ecopy but recently bought it just because it is beautiful. I do think there could've been a lot more details when it comes to a lot of things, and maybe the world building as well - but it was just so fun to read and pretty creative as well.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.