Review of The Start of Me and You

Following her pitch-perfect debut Open Road Summer, Emery Lord pens another gorgeous story of best friends, new love, & second chances.

Brimming with heartfelt relationships and authentic high-school dynamics The Start of Me and You proves that it’s never too late for second chances.

It’s been a year since it happened—when Paige Hancock’s first boyfriend died in an accident. After shutting out the world for two years, Paige is finally ready for a second chance at high school . . . and she has a plan. First: Get her old crush, Ryan Chase, to date her—the perfect way to convince everyone she’s back to normal. Next: Join a club—simple, it’s high school after all. But when Ryan’s sweet, nerdy cousin, Max, moves to town and recruits Paige for the Quiz Bowl team (of all things!) her perfect plan is thrown for a serious loop. Will Paige be able to face her fears and finally open herself up to the life she was meant to live?


 One of my favorite blogging buddies, Brittany from The Story of My Reading Life. She gave this book a 5 star review and raved about it. I have been on a roll with good books and there is no reason to stop that! So, I started right up with The Start of Me and You and could barely put it down.
  • Max. Fangirling all over Max. He was a super nerd, but so sweet, kind and even funny. I wanted to know him, he is definitely my newest book crush.
  • Paige was in an odd situation and I loved the way it was handled in the book. Paige's boyfriend of only a few months, died tragically and she was left with a void. A boy she had just started to get to know was now her legacy, she was Aaron's girlfriend. She had to deal with the sadness of losing her boyfriend, as well as realizing how much pity people gave her since she was her boyfriend. Paige felt guilty for all the support because there were way more people in Aaron's life that knew him better.
  • The friendship between Paige and her girls reminds me of me and my college girls. We have been friends for almost 15 years and these girls mean everything to me. They know my ins and outs, and my pain is their pain, and vice-versa. I love books with strong friendships.
  • Paige has divorced parents and has to deal with some interesting situations within that dynamic. I can totally understand how hard it would be, especially after dealing with seeing my parents relationship disintegrate.
  • Paige's journey through the book was really well done, it was awesome to see her change and grow, starting to become who she is supposed to be.


  • The beginning was a little slow to me. I was starting to think that I might not love the book, but kept going and it was worth it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22429350-the-start-of-me-and-you

 photo Signature smaller.png

9 comments

  1. Despite the start of the book it's great that you finally did enjoy it. It sounds like a really sweet romance! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like the usual contemporary romance story. Despite the slow start, I'm glad to know that it still ended up being totally worth it. Great review, Missie! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeek I really do want to read this one because it sounds absolutely glorious! I ordered it just recently so hopefully it arrives soon.

    Nice review, Missie <33

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a sucker for a good contemporary, so I know I'll enjoy this! I've heard good things about her books, so I decided to purchase this last month, but since I haven't been able to pick it up just yet, it's slowly collecting dust on my kindle lol. Hopefully I can get to it soon. Nice review Missie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evn if the beginning was slow it's great that it changed thereafter. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep hearing good things about this one :) I'm glad you liked it, those positive reviews just keep piling up!

    - Wattle @ Whimsical Nature

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover is just beautiful, I read this as well - I wasn't the biggest fan but it's a cute read overall :) <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover is just beautiful, I read this as well - I wasn't the biggest fan but it's a cute read overall :) <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did I miss that you reviewed this?! YES! Emery Lord is my YA God. Max is the perfect book boyfriend. I love me a good nerd. Have you read Open Road Summer. Because Matt Finch. What a babe.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.