Review of Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda

Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised.

With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.



I have been trying to diversify my reading, check out stories of people from different walks of life and get a view from life in their shoes. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda has been loved by many and I have read numerous tweets about the brilliance of the book, so I thought this one was a great place to diversify. I also brought it to my book club and we choose Simon for May's read.


  • I loved the wit in the book. It felt real and relate-able. The friendships were raw and genuine. I liked that they were well-written and honest. There were ups and downs, secrets and accidental betrayals, which is part of human nature.
  • I liked Simon, but I think that I loved Blue even more. I think this book could totally be flip-flopped and written from Blue's POV as well. I would really loved to have gotten to spend some more time with him.
  • The emails were also raw. I think that Blue and Jacques not knowing each other helped them be more real with each other. There wasn't a need to cover-up or lie because they didn't even know each other. They had a place to share themselves without fear of judgement.


  • As much as others loved and connected with this books, I felt like I could have gotten more in-depth with the characters. I wanted more - more real, more raw, more honesty. I think when I really started getting into the book is when it ended. I have read some intense books lately and I think that has really put the idea in my head that getting into the heart of characters really connects me with the book.
  • The whole drama and climax of the story almost seemed to be downplayed. I mean, there was some bullying, some remorse, but it was always in the background. I wanted this book to make a stand and to show how it is not anyone's right to out anyone's sexuality. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19547856-simon-vs-the-homo-sapiens-agenda




 photo Signature smaller.png

4 comments

  1. Yay Simon! Him and Blue are my new OTP. I'm really wishing for more Simon in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hearing a lot about this book, and even though I don't usually read YA contemporary, it's one I may actually pick up at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really NEED to read this. I don't read LGBT books but I've only been reading great things about this :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard so many amazing things about this book, and you are totally right, No one should has the right to 'out' anyone. I'm really hoping to get round to reading this one this summer! Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.