Review of The Scorch Trials

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end.

Thomas was sure that escape from the Maze would mean freedom for him and the Gladers. But WICKED isn’t done yet. Phase Two has just begun. The Scorch.

There are no rules. There is no help. You either make it or you die.

The Gladers have two weeks to cross through the Scorch—the most burned-out section of the world. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Friendships will be tested. Loyalties will be broken. All bets are off.

There are others now. Their survival depends on the Gladers’ destruction—and they’re determined to survive.

Quite honestly, I did not love The Maze Runner. I hate when you are left so much in the dark, I love the suspense, but I did little tidbits of information to keep me going. The Maze Runner was just so much suspense and so many unanswered questions that I was frustrated. Plus, I had a hard time imagining the maze. After watching the movie I decided to continue with the series. My husband asked what happened next and I couldn’t tell him, so I had to find out. I listened to the audiobook. It was read by Mark Deakins and was 10 hours, 25 minutes long.





  • I felt that we got quite a few questions answered in this book. Although there is still a lot of mystery,
  • I felt more content listening to it. I had an easier time imagining the scenery too – I am not sure if it was because the writing was a little more descriptive or just because I saw some of the creatures come to life on the big screen.
  • It has such a long time because reading The Maze Runner and then listening to The Scorch Trials that I had to relearn all the characters. I really enjoyed the relationship between the boys and Thomas in this book. They had been through a lot, and even when they disagreed, you could tell that they really knew that each other were the only ones they could trust.
  • The introduction to the plague was interesting. I love when there is backstory to how the world went into the apocalyptic stage. The plague was awful; I would not imagine how horrible it would be to go crazy like that.
  • There were some new characters, including some new females. It was a bit like a love triangle but it worked out better than that and gave the story some depth. It would be hard to figure out your emotions when you are a teenager with no clue what is going on and have some “big brother” type character trying to control your life.
  • I loved when WICKED would show their faces because it really gave us an idea of what was going on. They were making these kids essentially act like lab rats. I think it was a great contrast on society in general. No one really knows how to create or fix anything, so it is always testing. The food we eat, the drugs we take, and the environment in general is all a test. No one knows what they will learn 30 years from now after they finally have enough evidence from what products we have put into our bodies.


  • The book was almost constant waves. I felt like it was energetic and then it was slow. 
  • The writing just doesn’t lead me to connect with any of the characters and I could see that being a big reason I didn’t continue the series in the first place. I wasn’t invested in knowing what was going to happen to the characters next. I am going to finish the series now, but I probably wouldn’t have read the series again without the movie.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7631105-the-scorch-trials


 photo Signature smaller.png

10 comments

  1. They did an epic job adapting the film. I didn't remember a lot of the book because it had been years since I read it.And I decided not to do a re-read because I knew that would hinder my enjoyment of the movie. But from what I remember I really enjoyed the trilogy, The Maze Runner being my favourite of the books. I cannot wait for the second movie though.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Scorch Trials was my favorite book of the series! I did enjoy The Maze Runner movie, but there were differences. Of course, the book is always better! I couldn't imagine how they were going to make the Grievers come to life on the big screen! They were alright. I can't wait for the second movie either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this one but it seems like a really interesting story. But I must say that I don't like stories that come in waves. It's hard for me to concentrate on reading all the time. Still I'm glad you enjoyed it over all. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't like The Maze Runner either Missie, for the same reasons that you mentioned, so to hear that you felt the same way and were still able to enjoy this one makes me really happy. Definitely going to have to give this a try! Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ~Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear we start getting some answers with this one. I actually really enjoyed The Maze Runner so I'm sure I'll like this one too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is the movie any good? I've been considering watching it, before I read the first book. Mainly because I'm not entirely sure if I *want* to read it, but at the same time I'm curious...because they made a movie lol it's like a never ending cycle!

    I'm a bit apprehensive about how it keeps you in the dark though, that can be very frustrating :( there's a fine line between being given enough information to keep you interested and too little information to keep you reading.

    - Wattle @ Whimsical Nature

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't hate The Maze Runner, but I didn't love it either in comparison to other dystopian-type books. Based on your review, I'm not sure I will continue with the series. It's so hard when there are so many amazing books out there to spend your time on a meh book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched the movie BEFORE I read the first book - which I almost never do, but I actually think it helped me in this case because I kind of knew where all the clues were leading and was intrigued by the differences between the two. I actually can see how the mysteries in this book might have felt a little TOO mysterious if I hadn't seen the movie first!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't like The Maze Runner sadly. A coworker of mine read the rest of the series and gave me the rundown, but I really don't like some major things. Personally I will not be continuing to read the series. If you continue, I hope you enjoy the next book.

    Dreams @ Once Upon A Dream Books

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope the last book doesn't disappoint you the way it did me. :(

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.