Review of Mosquitoland

"I am a collection of oddities, a circus of neurons and electrons: my heart is the ringmaster, my soul is the trapeze artist, and the world is my audience. It sounds strange because it is, and it is, because I am strange."
After the sudden collapse of her family, Mim Malone is dragged from her home in northern Ohio to the "wastelands" of Mississippi, where she lives in a medicated milieu with her dad and new stepmom. Before the dust has a chance to settle, she learns her mother is sick back in Cleveland.
So she ditches her new life and hops aboard a northbound Greyhound bus to her real home and her real mother, meeting a quirky cast of fellow travelers along the way. But when her thousand-mile journey takes a few turns she could never see coming, Mim must confront her own demons, redefining her notions of love, loyalty, and what it means to be sane.
Told in an unforgettable, kaleidoscopic voice, "Mosquitoland" is a modern American odyssey, as hilarious as it is heartbreaking.

It is so hard to write a review about a book I loved so much, because it is so hard to put it into black and white, just plain words. It is feelings and emotions, a connectivity to a book that runs so much deeper than just what words can express. As I write that sentence I realize that the whole feeling the book created was just words, it is amazing what a novel can do.


  • Mim has to be one of my all-time favorite MCs. She was so unique, smart, eccentric and witty that I was instantly drawn to her. She was put into this mold by her father and was told her whole life that crazy was bad, crazy was different and needed to be treated. She was left out of so much, decisions that she was old enough to understand because her father didn’t believe in her. She decides that she is going to go find her mother on her own after hearing some bad news. Mim gets on a bus and just goes. As much as she wants to stay to herself, she meets amazing people on her way and makes lifelong friends. I think the people around Mim just could not help but want to be part of her world. I can totally get that.
  • The writing in this book was stunning. I think half of the book is highlighted in my Kindle. My Kindle also had this new feature of showing me what others highlighted (my Kindle is new to me lol). I loved the way the words were put together and I could feel so much of Mim in myself. The quote in the summary was one of my favorites. I posted that on my Twitter and Facebook because I felt everyone needs to read it.
  • One favorite side characters was the old lady on bus. Mim sits down next to her and describes her, “I’ll admit, initially, I’d been wary of sitting next to an old lady; the beehive hairdos, the knit turtlenecks, the smell of onion soup and imminent death.” Mim realizes that you can’t judge a book by it’s cover and you definitely have to find out more about a person, who they really are and where they are going, instead of just the look or smell of them.
  • I have always aspired to be a writer and if I could sit down with David Arnold and listen to some of his wisdom, I would be so blessed. Mim’s aunt stated, “Writing sort of…rounds off the sharp edges of my brain, you know?” So true. I sometimes cannot communicate at all, if I am sad or upset or cannot get a control on my emotions, I write. I carry are a notebook and write everything from journal posts, story ideas to random tidbits that come into my mind. I feel like writing keeps me sane.
  • One thing I was most in love with was all the relationships in the book. Mim has to learn who she is, but then also how to be a kind friend, a possible girlfriend and a loving daughter. There is the cutest slow burn relationship in the book, and I would LOVE to have a sequel to Mosquitoland telling us how that turns out. Plus, Mim really figured out who her parents were and that life is not always easy, but being selfish really doesn’t help anything.
  • The journaling in the story is so neat. I love the way it started and what it grew into. I don’t want to spoil anything but it was such an awesome idea.
  • I so badly want to just go on a road with Beck, Walt and Mim, take my camera and see where life takes us. I feel like it would be the most epic time in my life. We could have some amazing, eccentric and insightful adventures!

  • The only gripe I had was that the book ended. I want more. I crave more.



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18718848-mosquitoland
   photo Signature smaller.png

7 comments

  1. This sounds like an interesting book. I have never heard of it before. Its great that you were able to take so much from the story. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohmy, I've seen this around before and I wasn't really sure whether to read it or not. Now I'm really convinced. Mim sounds like a great heroine and this all in all sounds like my type of read. Great review, Missie! I'm adding this to my tbr! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great read :) wonderful review Missie! I'm going to add it to my TBR!

    - Wattle @ Whimsical Nature

    ReplyDelete
  4. I skimmed your review because I bought this on my own and I really want to go in blind, BUT I'M SO GLAD YOU LOVED IT! I'm really excited to go read this now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have me totally sold on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have me totally sold on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed, some of the hardest books to review are the ones you love. All you want to tell everyone is, "READ THIS BOOK. IT'S BRILLIANT!"
    Thankfully my library got this one in because it was one I was looking forward to. Glad you loved it. Hopefully it won't be too long before I can get to it.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.