Review of Just One Day

From the New York Times bestselling author of If I Stay

Allyson Healey's life is exactly like her suitcase—packed, planned, ordered. Then on the last day of her three-week post-graduation European tour, she meets Willem. A free-spirited, roving actor, Willem is everything she’s not, and when he invites her to abandon her plans and come to Paris with him, Allyson says yes. This uncharacteristic decision leads to a day of risk and romance, liberation and intimacy: 24 hours that will transform Allyson’s life.

A book about love, heartbreak, travel, identity, and the “accidents” of fate, Just One Day shows us how sometimes in order to get found, you first have to get lost. . . and how often the people we are seeking are much closer than we know.

The first in a sweepingly romantic duet of novels. Willem’s story—Just One Year—is coming soon!
 
I haven't found a Gayle Forman book that I did not enjoy, so why stop that trend? I picked up Just One Day without reading the synopsis and going off just the knowledge that other bloggers loved it and that Gayle wrote it, I was in.

Sometimes I feel like I am not spontaneous. I would like to think I am, but I pretty much go through the motions and make the right choices like I am supposed to. When Allyson got the chance to "run away" to Paris for a day, she took it. I would love to imagine that I would have done the same time. And then I am sure that I would have had all the same doubts that she did along the way.
I loved Willem's view on life. I could give anything to live his life for a while. I would love to travel, see the world, meet interesting people and have some adventures along the way. I feel like I have a little gypsy in my soul that I never let out!
Allyson's college Shakespeare class sounded so amazing. I wish that I could have been involved with a class that. I always feel like I do not have the knowledge of Shakespeare that I would love to have. Reading them out-loud and acting them out in class would definitely give me the insight I desire.
The side characters in this book were great. I loved each and every one of them in the ways that you were supposed to. The roommates, the best friend and even the overbearing mother. They were very well written. I think that side characters can really give a book life and Gayle hit this one on the mark.

The only gripe I really had with the book was Allyson's attitude once she returns to Paris. I don't feel like the situation was completely life or death. Yeah, it would hurt and suck a lot, but to live your entire life defined by that moment, to sleep all the time and push your own dreams away. It didn't make sense. I struggled a bit through the middle of the book but got back on track when it made more sense to me again (sorry, I don't want spoil anything, so this is a bit of a grey statement!)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17623975-just-one-day
 



 photo Signature smaller.png

9 comments

  1. I didn't like this book. Not a bit. I really hated the boy. He just makes me so angry. If you read the next book, I'm curious as to what you'll think of it.

    Dreams @ Once Upon A Dream Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not the biggest Gale Foreman fan, but I am glad that you liked it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This duology is probably my favourite of her books. Although I haven't read her new one yet. I agree that Allison being quite depressed just because of waking up to no Willem was a little huh?. But who knows how I'd deal with the situation if I were to ever have that kind of whirlwind adventure.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure. I read If I Stay and was really disappointed, mainly because of the hype around this book. Not sure if I want to try another Forman novel yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh hey atleast you enjoyed this novel more than me, I actually DNF it and I thought the heroine was rather stupid for traveling with the unknown guy lol I love her other books though :) <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adored this book and Gayle Forman just keeps on impressing me with her books! I loved her Shakespeare college class is a dream come true, I wish I could do that! People have an issue with her jumping on a train to Paris with a random guy but seem to forget that she has always followed what people have told her to do, never snuck out or did anything exciting and this was a whole new experience for her.
    Naomi @The Perks Of Being A Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of mixed reviews in the comments :). I haven't read it, and I don't even know if I should or not!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I'm going to have to read this soon!

    www.mystictales.co

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't tried a book by Gayle yet, but I think maybe this one would be a good idea? And I would agree - I'd find it pretty difficult to be spontaneous as well, but yknow, Paris sounds nice! I have been one time and I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.