Review of I Hunt Killers

What if the world's worst serial killer...was your dad?

Jasper "Jazz" Dent is a likable teenager. A charmer, one might say.

But he's also the son of the world's most infamous serial killer, and for Dear Old Dad, Take Your Son to Work Day was year-round. Jazz has witnessed crime scenes the way cops wish they could—from the criminal's point of view.

And now bodies are piling up in Lobo's Nod.

In an effort to clear his name, Jazz joins the police in a hunt for a new serial killer. But Jazz has a secret—could he be more like his father than anyone knows?

I Hunt Killers is one of those books you skip over because the cover isn’t amazing and doesn’t really have that one thing that seems to draw you in. But, when you have listened to every book at the library in the Young Adult Fiction section that was calling your name, you have lower your standards a bit. Let me tell you, friends, do not judge a book by its cover. Seriously how many times does this need to be drilled into our heads? But when we are so tempted with book cover candies, it is hard not to fall in love with the bright and shiny ones.

  • Jasper (Jazz) was one of the most intense and deep characters I have encountered in a long time. Not only did the book feature a male MC – but he was so well done, I could feel his anguish.
  • The message in this book is also really deep. It really goes on the lines of nature versus nurture. Are you who you are going to be from birth, created by human nature, or do they people around you, your family and friends, shape who you are? Jasper was the son of a serial killer. Jazz’s dad taught him the ropes, immersed him in all his secrets and was essentially training Jazz to follow in his footsteps. Jasper has to fight his internal notion of what he was taught to what he thinks “normal” humans should be like.
  • Jazz’s grandma was crazy, like Alzheimer’s and then some psycho crazy. I am interested to see what happens to her in the rest of the series. At first it just seemed like Alzheimer’s but then she let out that she might have some secrets.
  • Jazz was taught so well by his father, that he witnesses the cops searching a crime scene and automatically thinks that it is a serial killer. Sadly, everyone in town think that Jazz is going to turn out just like his dad and he is easily suspected. Jazz sticks his nose into the investigation and makes it some ways worse, but some ways better.
  • The mystery was well done, there were multiple suspects that you thought were guilty at one time or another. I kinda thought the killer was the killer, but I still think there are holes that need to be filled in the next book. I also have it downloaded from the library and am going to start it soon!
  • I really enjoyed the writing style. There as one sentence about the sky being the color of a newly formed bruise. It was amazing prose wrapped into a murder mystery!
  • The story isn’t wrapped up in a nice little bow, although I wouldn’t call it a cliffhanger, I still do not have closure and have quite a few questions. I am hoping that the second book really starts to plug some holes or I am going to get restless fast!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7766027-i-hunt-killers?from_search=true&search_version=service

 photo Signature smaller.png

5 comments

  1. I haven't read this yet but I've heard much about it - the premise does grip the reader, your review has me excited for it now! Benish| Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds quite darker compared to what I usually read, but it does sound interesting. It is annoying when you finish a book and don't feel like you have closure and there are still things you want to know - I hope your questions are answered in the second book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's great, so many good things in this one. I need to try, everyone like it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED this audio. The narrator was perfect. He could really do creepy.
    And I can't believe I haven't read the rest of the trilogy. It's been like two years...
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing prose, a complicated main character and a compelling mystery? This definitely sounds worthy of a much improved cover. I'll look out for this one and its sequel. Great review honey!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.