Review of Frostfire

Bryn Aven is an outcast among the Kanin, the most powerful of the troll tribes.

Set apart by her heritage and her past, Bryn is a tracker who's determined to become a respected part of her world. She has just one goal: become a member of the elite King’s Guard to protect the royal family. She's not going to let anything stand in her way, not even a forbidden romance with her boss Ridley Dresden.

But all her plans for the future are put on hold when Konstantin– a fallen hero she once loved – begins kidnapping changelings. Bryn is sent in to help stop him, but will she lose her heart in the process?



I love finding books from Minnesota (my home state) writers. Frostfire had such a pretty cover and I thought it sounded a bit of fairy tale, fantasy style, so I gave it a shot.
  • Amanda Hocking has a great writing style. I loved her world-building. At first I was worried that I wouldn't fully understand all the cultures and all of the positions, but I caught on fairly quickly.
  • World-building is always my number one with fantasy and made-up places. I want to be able to fully understand the structure of the society and envision it easily. When the world-building is well done, I can fall easily into the book and picture what the characters are going through and get wrapped up in a book.
  • Bryn was an interesting character. She was an outsider from birth, because her mother was from a different tribe and she looked different than the rest of the Kanin people. She was blonde in a sea of dark haired people. She stuck out like a sore thumb. Along with her unique characteristics, she wanted more than anything to be a tracker for her people. It was a hard job and even harder because she was a woman. She had to constantly fight to be better and to prove to everyone that she was able to do the job.
  • Ridley was one of my favorite characters. He was such a perfect mix of bad boy and good guy, definitely the type of guy that I would fall for in real life. I enjoyed his progression from the beginning of the book to the end and am interested to see where he and Bryn, if it happens, goes.


  • The whole baby situation in the book was odd. I just couldn't really wrap my mind around the way that was the best option for the community and a reasoning for income. With all their talents I would have thought they could find a better way to survive.
  • This book was a complete set up for the rest of the series. I knew that I was going to be a bit disappointed with the end when there were so many unanswered questions and only a few pages left. Luckily all the books are going to come out soon, so I only have to wait until May for the next one, but I still like for a story to be a bit more wrapped up first.  

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18105451-frostfire



 
http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773

9 comments

  1. I read the first book in her Trylle trilogy years ago and was not impressed(I think this is a spin-off of that series?). But the covers on these definitely make me want to give Hocking another go. Lol. I'm going to wait until I see the rest of your reviews on the series. If it gets better for you maybe I'll give it a go.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of this book and I'm trying to get back into fantasy again so I might check it out, brilliant review!
    Naomi @The Perks Of Being A Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love her covers, so gorgeous! I haven't tried any but sorry to see it wasn't more for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if I want to read this series because I've read Amanda Hocking's other series and didn't really like it that much. Maybe I'll wait until the series is finished and see what people think of it overall before giving it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cover! That's what I was thinking, and then I scrolled down to see you commented on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cover! That's what I was thinking, and then I scrolled down to see you commented on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book sounds interesting and the cover is gorgeous!I love the wintery look of the background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This over is pretty but I didn't find this book on my TBR. I have only read one other book by this author and it didn't tickle my fancy so much. not sure if I want to give another one a try or not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks right up my alley, but I'm worried about some of your gripes. Hopefully the other books wrap up some things.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.