Review of All the Bright Places

The Fault in Our Stars meets Eleanor and Park in this exhilarating and heart-wrenching love story about a girl who learns to live from a boy who intends to die.
Soon to be a major motion picture starring Elle Fanning!
 
Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.

Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.

When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.

This is an intense, gripping novel perfect for fans of Jay Asher, Rainbow Rowell, John Green, Gayle Forman, and Jenny Downham from a talented new voice in YA, Jennifer Niven.

Includes a PDF Help Line Resource Guide and a Note Read by the Author.



All the Bright places has been a book that is severely hyped up BUT mark my word, it was 100% worth it. Everyone needs to read this book. It broke me. I took forever to even be able to write this review because I didn't know how to put it down on paper. It was amazing.

  • Violet and Finch are the most amazing, well-rounded and fleshed out characters I have encountered in a long time. Both characters have so much depth that you feel as thought they are real. I could just fall into this book, connect on a deeper level. There were quite a few time when I forgot I was reading and I was just part of the story. 
  • Finch was indescribable. I can't put into words how he made me feel, he felt so much, lived so much and loved so much. He was the brightest star and burned far brighter than he could handle. I loved the way he saw the world around him and the people. 
  • I connected deeply with Violet. We could have as easily been sisters, just like her and Eleanor. I would have loved to be part of EleanorandViolet.com but Germmagazine.com was even more so up my alley. I feel like I could relate to her reaction to the loss of her sister. She was afraid of the world, afraid of everything that it took away from her. It took a warped view of the world to bring her back to reality. 
  • The adventure of Indiana was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed seeing the state in a unique way. I do not know much about Indiana, but I feel like every state has those secret little places that are magical in their own right. It was a fun way for Violet and Finch to get out of their comfort zone. I think my favorite place they visited had to be the old bookmobiles! How awesome would that be?
  • The writing in this book was flawless. It was so lovely. It flowed so well and there were multiple times in the book I stopped to highlight amazing quotes that moved me to my core. 
  • I haven't cried for a while, but this book brought out tears. I wanted so badly to reach into the book and change things but I know, from personal experience, that they need to be said. We need more awareness of mental illness and suicide prevention. We need to take away the stigma and bring it out into the light. We are human, imperfect and full of intense emotions. We need to stop judging each other and start caring. I hope that more books come out in the future that can open our eyes and, even more important, open our heart.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18460392-all-the-bright-places?from_search=true&search_version=service


 photo Signature smaller.png

13 comments

  1. Great review. I can’t wait to read this one. It’s been on my TBR list forever.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that I didn't fully understand Finch but Violet? I really loved her. And the last part really brought tears to my eyes. I just keep on crying there. I didn't know that this will be a movie soon. that's really good news! Great review, Missie! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to buy this book! It was on netgalley months ago but I chose to ignore it but now I really want to read it!
    p.s Loving the new blog design!
    Naomi @The Perks Of Being A Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you liked this book! I thought it was okay, I had my issues and I didn't find that it was as good as the hype said it was but like you said I too liked the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review!! I've had this one on my kindle for awhile and NEED to read it soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm scared to read this one! Anything suicide-related sort of makes me shy away because I know I'm going to bawl my eyes out! Awesome review! I'll read it someday when I'm in the mood. (:


    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wonderful! that's great that you had connected so much with the characters like that, we all want that with a book. great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You changed your theme! I knew something was different once I went on your blog - looks beautiful though & Oh, I loved Finch's character in this book, beautiful review. <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this book on my tbr list too and plan to read it soon, even though i know it will crush my poor heart. So glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the new theme! It looks great :)

    And great review too! I've heard lots and lots of good things about this one. So I think I'll just move it up the list!

    - Wattle @ Whimsical Nature

    ReplyDelete
  11. TOTALLY agree with you about this book!! Amazing!!!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that the characters are well-rounded and fleshed out...and so glad to hear that this book deserves the hype! I definitely need to check it out soon.

    Fabulous review :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your description of Finch of is spot on!
    I also agree that mental illness is still kind of a taboo topic. But I'm very happy to see more YA books spotlighting it this year. Like you say, we can't shy away from it.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.