ARC Review of Flunked

Would you send a villain to do a hero's job? An exciting new twisted fairy tale series from award-winning author Jen Calonita.

Full of regret, Cinderella's wicked stepmother, Flora, has founded the Fairy Tale Reform School with the mission of turning the wicked and criminally mischievous into upstanding members of Enchantasia.

Impish, sassy 12-year-old Gilly has a history of petty theft and she's not too sorry about it. When she lifts a hair clip, she gets tossed in reform school-for at least three months. But when she meets fellow students Jax and Kayla, she learns there's more to this school than its sweet mission. There's a battle brewing and she starts to wonder: can a villain really change?


The cover and description of this book was so intriguing, I had to have it. I felt so blessed to get an ARC in exchange for an honest review. I am participating in the Fairy Tale Re-telling Challenge and this book fit perfectly. It was a brand new take on fairy tales.
  • The world created by Jen Calonita. It was a fun world that incorporated all the popular fairy tales, the heroes and the villains.
  • Our MC is Gilly. She is a spunky 12 year old who tends to live on the edge to help her family. She steals, but only in the Robin Hood sense, to bring her poor family food and income. She has a sense of adventure and always seems to be involved in some sort of trouble.
  • Gilly is sent to a fairy tale reform school for the villainous individuals in town. It was lead by Cinderella's evil step-mother and some of the teacher's included the big bad wolf.
  • I think the series could have a lot of potential and I am interested to see where Jen Calonita takes the characters next.
  • I don't often read middle school grade books, so it felt a little immature for me. I don't have a lot of middle school age kids around me at this time, mostly just little kids right now. So I think having a better understanding of the mind of a middle-schooler would help me relate to the book better.
  • There was a lot of action in the one book. Since it was already slated to be a series, I would have enjoyed more world building and more time spent with all the characters in the school. I realize that attention spans are less in middle school books than young adult, but I had a hard time connecting with the characters.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21996359-flunked


 photo Signature smaller.png

11 comments

  1. I do enjoy my middle grade books. They're usually action packed. This one sounds cool. I love fairy tale re-tellings or re-imaginings.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog I really enjoy it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. terimakasih kepada pemilik blog..
    saya mohon izin untuk menyimpan link di halaman komentar,
    semoga anda semakin sukses...
    obatamandel.utamakansehat.com
    obatflekparuparu.utamakansehat.com
    obathipertiroid.utamakansehat.com
    obatglaukoma.utamakansehat.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I want to give this one a try. I love the cover! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. terimakasih kepada pemilik blog..
    saya mohon izin untuk menyimpan link di halaman komentar,
    semoga anda semakin sukses...
    obatamandel.utamakansehat.com
    obatflekparuparu.utamakansehat.com
    obathipertiroid.utamakansehat.com
    obatglaukoma.utamakansehat.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fairytale retellings, and the idea for this one sounds fascinating. I'd definitely be giving it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover of this one is gorgeous. It sounds like a promising series with a lot of potential. I like the idea of reforming 'bad' fairy tale characters. It will be interesting to see where the author goes with it in the future. And I often have the same feelings you do when reading a middle school book. It's hard trying to put yourself back in those shoes, but I think we can think back well enough to determine if an actual middle schooler would enjoy it. Hopefully the next installment will be more heavy on the character development and world building.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always different to read middle grade books and when I understood it would be that I confessed I passed, afraid it would be too yound for me but I just love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a fun, middle-grade book! Although it might be aimed at younger audiences it looks like a great read!!
    Naomi @The Perks Of Being A Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a book my daughter would love. I'll have to pick this one up for her!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.