ARC Review - Denton Little's Deathdate

Fans of John Green and Matthew Quick: Get ready to die laughing.

Denton Little's Deathdate takes place in a world exactly like our own except that everyone knows the day they will die. For 17-year-old Denton Little, that's tomorrow, the day of his senior prom.

Despite his early deathdate, Denton has always wanted to live a normal life, but his final days are filled with dramatic firsts. First hangover. First sex. First love triangle (as the first sex seems to have happened not with his adoring girlfriend, but with his best friend's hostile sister. Though he's not totally sure. See: first hangover.) His anxiety builds when he discovers a strange purple rash making its way up his body. Is this what will kill him? And then a strange man shows up at his funeral, claiming to have known Denton's long-deceased mother, and warning him to beware of suspicious government characters…. Suddenly Denton's life is filled with mysterious questions and precious little time to find the answers.

Debut author Lance Rubin takes us on a fast, furious, and outrageously funny ride through the last hours of a teenager's life as he searches for love, meaning, answers, and (just maybe) a way to live on.


I am odd, I love dark books and somethings others think are morbid. Once I saw the cover of Denton's Little Deathdate I knew that I had to read the book. I was generously given a ARC from the publisher for my honest review.

  • The whole concept of the story was really interesting and unique. Would you want to know the exact day that you were going to die? Would you like to be at your own funeral? That is how life is when you live in Denton's world.
  • The book was written very conversationally. I often felt like I could hear Denton reading the story to me. I also think that it gave a little immaturity to the story, but I may have just noticed this for being an older reader that enjoys YA.
  • Denton was a funny little dude. I liked his view on the world and he had as much of a positive take on his death as was possible - at least when faced with death.
  • I enjoyed the fact that Denton was a little all-over-the-place and make numerous mistakes nearing his deathdate. I can see that being a normal reaction. If you are a teen going to die, you would want to do all the things that are illegal just to say you did them before you left earth. He also got himself twisted up in a little love triangle, but it fits in this book.
  • The world building around the new deathdate society was really interesting. First off, you sat in on your own funeral and then gave a eulogy. Then you have a dance and party with your friends and family one last time. Finally you spend the last 24 hours of your life in your house, sitting there waiting to die.


  • I am assuming that this is going to turn into a series. There are a lot of unanswered questions. I kept wondering how it was going to wrap up when there was a lot going on in the book with only 20% left, and then 13% left. And then I read the last line and realized that I was duped. I thought this book was a stand-alone but I have no conclusion.
  • There was so much build up to finding out who random characters were, that when they were finally revealed it was the end of the book. I felt like there was a lot of fluff and it could have been more focused on the mystery involving Denton. I think that was really interesting and it was underplayed.  

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18883231-denton-little-s-deathdate






http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773

9 comments

  1. Awesome concept, but sounds almost exactly like "The Deathday Letter" by Shaun David Hutchinson (http://shaundavidhutchinson.com/books-2/the-deathday-letter/) which is also a great book. I'll probably check out Denton's Little Death Date though since they are similar. Great review.

    Jo @ http://adreamfrommyheart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen quite a few reviews for this one and no one mentions the cliffhanger-y ending! Gah. I still want to read this one, but I'm really glad for the warning about that. Great review, Missie!

    Kristen @ Pretty Little Pages

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just seen a couple of good reviews for this novel - I hope I do like it though, lovely review overall :)
    <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Missie! I'm actually going to add this on Goodreads because it sounds so interesting!! I couldn't even imagining knowing what day I am going to die! It would probably make people act super crazy as the day nears! Wow! Awesome review!

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. the idea of this one is really interesting. I see this around quite often. It sounds good but leaving things unanswered doesn't really sound nice. Great review, Missie! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to have something different like that. But it's too bad that many of your questions are left unanswered.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm...I've seen this cover but didn't really know what it was about. This does sound super unique and intriguing. I'm going to have to give this one a go. But maybe I'll wait until the second book is out. I don't like being left hanging.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book made one of my Top Ten Tuesday posts earlier this year. I can't remember which one but I know I'm really looking forward to reading it. I wouldn't have thought it would be turned into a series though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a bit morbid myself, and the cover caught my eye as well. I might have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.