Review of Zac & Mia

"When I was little I believed in Jesus and Santa, spontaneous combustion, and the Loch Ness monster. Now I believe in science, statistics, and antibiotics."

So says seventeen-year-old Zac Meier during a long, grueling leukemia treatment in Perth, Australia. A loud blast of Lady Gaga alerts him to the presence of Mia, the angry, not-at-all-stoic cancer patient in the room next door. Once released, the two near-strangers can’t forget each other, even as they desperately try to resume normal lives. The story of their mysterious connection drives this unflinchingly tough, tender novel told in two voices.

Winner of the 2012 Australian Text Prize.




I was drawn to Zac and Mia with the beautifully simplistic cover. I knew that it had to do something with cancer, but I wasn’t really sure what the plot would be. I have this habit of not really reading more than the first line of a synopsis or just skimming a review because I don’t want to spoil the book. I like to be surprised and fall into the story without knowing what is going to happen next. I listened to the audiobook for this one and I enjoyed how it was done. It was read by Kristin Condon and Nicholas Mondelli. It was 7 hours, 20 minutes long.

  •  I really, really liked Zac. I was drawn into this story from the beginning. I loved his outlook on the world, his relationship with his mother and his witty personality. I cannot imagine what life would be like having to be in the same room for a month on end, not being able to leave for anything and only certain people being able to visit. I would definitely easily get a bit down on myself. It wasn’t all peachy but Zac still had a great attitude about the whole thing.
  • I think that the author gave a realistic view of what a teen may endure when faced with a diagnosis of cancer. Sometimes Mia’s attitude drove me insane, but then I tried to put myself in her shoes. I realize that I could have been a dramatic little brat when I was in high school too.
  • I loved Zac’s family and longed to be on the olive farm with all the animals. Sounded like an amazing place.
  • There was a great development in the parental relationships in this story. I really enjoyed that was such a major part of the book as it seems so many young adult books really lack any parental figures in the story.

  •  I felt like there could have been a little more meat to the story. I think the middle was a little slow for me, and then when I really wanted more to the story, it was actually the end. It was a fairly open ending and I wanted to know more and be part of it. I got the same feeling at the end of Eleanor & Park. I just wanted to know what was going to happen next. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15757486-zac-and-mia




http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773

11 comments

  1. This seems like an intense, emotional read. I'll check it out, glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when the middle of a book drags! But it sounds like you really enjoyed it anyway. I don't think it's my kind of book, but I'm glad it worked for you! Great review :)

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  3. This books looks like the kind of book I would obsess over plus the cover is beautiful!
    Naomi @The Perks Of Being A Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this book in my TBR pile and have put it into one of my reading challenges to make sure I read it this year! I enjoyed your review and its helped me to look forward to trying the book myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the cover as well! This sounds like a book I would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I completely agree with you on the ending.

    Jo @ http://adreamfrommyheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always interesting to see what another person thought about a book I've already read. Great review, Missie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww I think I will read this one :) It's sounds cute, maybe even fluffy? and like there is some good relationship between the characters. Too bad for that ending though :/ Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did Mia annoy you at all? I found myself hating her at so many places during this one, but then again... I didn't really enjoy this one too much.

    Great review! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    Erin @ The Hardcover Lover

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you liked this one, Missie! :D

    I agree that Zac was a lovely character, and I must say that I completely fell in love with him when reading ZAC AND MIA. His family was absolutely amazing, and I really appreciated his relationship with his parents (especially his mum) - it was really emotional and heartbreaking.

    As for Mia, I could understand her reactions. It would be so hard to go through what she had to.

    The open ending crushed me, because I want a happily ever after (even if it's unrealistic).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just read this one too, but haven't reviewed it yet. I feel pretty much the same as you - loved Zac, got annoyed with Mia (and then felt bad for it!), and wished there was just a little more to it. It was a nice read. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.