Review of Talon

Long ago, dragons were hunted to near extinction by the Order of St. George, a legendary society of dragon slayers. Hiding in human form and growing their numbers in secret, the dragons of Talon have become strong and cunning, and they're positioned to take over the world with humans none the wiser.

Ember and Dante Hill are the only sister and brother known to dragonkind. Trained to infiltrate society, Ember wants to live the teen experience and enjoy a summer of freedom before taking her destined place in Talon. But destiny is a matter of perspective, and a rogue dragon will soon challenge everything Ember has been taught. As Ember struggles to accept her future, she and her brother are hunted by the Order of St. George.

Soldier Garret Xavier Sebastian has a mission to seek and destroy all dragons, and Talon's newest recruits in particular. But he cannot kill unless he is certain he has found his prey: and nothing is certain about Ember Hill. Faced with Ember's bravery, confidence and all-too-human desires, Garret begins to question everything that the Order has ingrained in him: and what he might be willing to give up to find the truth about dragons.


I choose Talon as my official road trip audiobook for my trip back from Montana to Minnesota. It got us all the way through Montana and part way in North Dakota, making the trip a lot more exciting! The audiobook was 12 hours, 35 minutes long (we listened to it 2x speed) and was read by MacLeod Andrews, Caitlin Davies and Chris Patton.
 
  • The story really got my right from the beginning. It was interesting and unique. My dad listened to the audiobook with me and it even caught his interest. He wanted to know what they were right away since the characters stated early that they were not human.
  • I loved Ember. She was just a strong, intense MC. She was still in that adolescent stage learning who she is, but then she has to also figure out how to be kinda-human while she is also a dragon. That would be complex!
  • The plot was an interesting play on the age-old story of Romeo & Juliet. I liked the progression and the push and pull of the slow burn romance between two characters who really are against each other.
  • There was also a bit of a love triangle, I didn't have any issues with it. Since Ember was both dragon and could turn into a human, I could totally see how she could fall for a human but also be attracted to someone who knew her inside and out, someone that can relate better to who she really is.
  • I am definitely going to continue with the story. I really liked the plot and am excited for the next book to see how the story progresses.
 
  • The ending was a bit of a cliffhanger, which is just not always my favorite thing because I want a little more closure. But it did set the book up well for the series. I am also kinda hoping this one gets picked up for a movie, I think it could be really fun on the big screen!
 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17331828-talon
 
 


http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773

9 comments

  1. I REALLY need to read this book! It has been on my TBR list for so long and I actually have the audiobook already. Your review has definitely inspired me to make it my next listen! Great review!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, this book sounds good! I haven't read anything by Julie Kagawa yet, and I've not read much about dragons, but maybe I'll fix both of those things and pick this book up next. Great review, this sounds quite interesting. :)

    I nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award; it's totally fine if you aren't able to do it, just letting you know. :) http://myfullbookshelfreviews.blogspot.com/2015/03/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read this book. I love dragons so much! I so love that part of the country, it is so beautiful. I am glad you enjoyed this book. Thanks for the spoiler free review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your dragon gif at the end of the post LOL I hope to read this sometime soon, thank you for pushing me more towards it. Lovely review <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you enjoyed this book.I've been hesitating to read Talon,as it has a lot of mixed reviews.
    And since you liked this,I think you should try out Firelight by Sophie Jordan.The story line is kinda similar and the heroine is quite fierce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still need to read this and seeing your review reminded me of that. I'm so glad the main character seems strong! I love those types!

    Kristen @ Pretty Little Pages

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh I am glad you were able to like this one. Not too many people did, so ti was nice to see a more refreshing review. I know I still want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is the first positive review I've seen for this book. WHICH MAKES ME EXCITED because I've been wanting to read this, but then haven't been motivated to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to read this one for a while. I hope I like it like you did! Another great review!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.