Review of The Girl With All the Gifts

 Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite, but they don't laugh.











Paper Fury did a review of The Girl with All the Gifts quite a while ago and I was so intrigued. She was definitely in the love with the book and her review had me downloading it right away. But then, life got in the way and for some reason it got pushed to the back burner. I love zombies and this book was right up my alley, so I finally pushed away everything else and got to read it.
 


  • Zombies are all over the market - books, tv shows, movies, ect. Most of the time there are similarities between the stories but i felt like this one had something new and unique. I was drawn into the book directly from the beginning.
  • Melanie was amazing. I don't really want to spoil anything, but she has to be one of my all-time favorite main characters ever. She was kind, smart, heck she was brilliant. She is also very self-aware. It is hard to explain but I am sure you will love her just as much.
  • The writing in this story was also so unique. We were giving different POVs but in a third person, first person unique way. I don't really know how to describe it.
  • The side characters were also really well done, the teacher, the doctor, the sergeant and the private were each well-defined with interesting back stories. We were given insight into their past lives before the plague that turned humans into zombies.
  • One thing I always miss about zombie stories is exactly how the epidemic started, this book was amazingly detailed on what virus was that started the outbreak. I love that. I want to know how and why when I am reading stories like this.
  • I know it is probably not the good to always think of books as movies or tv shows, but I love to see a book played out on the screen, when it is well done. I could totally see this book as a tv show. There is enough meat to the story to give it some amazing seasons.

  • Really the only gripe I had was that the middle-ish part of the book got a little slow. Other than that, it was an amazing book.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17235026-the-girl-with-all-the-gifts




http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773

10 comments

  1. This really does sound intriguing... From the blurb I wouldn't have guessed it's about zombies.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh yes I really want to read this one! I received it from the Aussie Secret Santa we did last year and well, IT'S MY NAME IN A BOOK. I'M FAMOUS hehehe.

    Lovely review, Missie <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. That picture of Zombie Snow White is scary. I haven't read too many zombie books, but I've liked most of the ones I've read. I'm not sure on this one but I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad there are plenty of zombies in this book, I love reading about them! The characters sound great all around too. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't used to think that I really liked zombie books, but lately I've been loving them! This one is definitely going to the top of my TBR!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a cool book; I hadn't heard of it before! I love when a book goes into scientific details when it fits the story. Glad you enjoyed it! I added it to my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo Zombies, this book does really sound interesting! Great Review!!
    Naomi @The Perks Of Being A Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sound of this one, glad you could enjoy it <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of this one before, and the synopsis certainly didn't clue me in to it being a book about zombies! I am totally curious, so will have to add it to the list!

    - Wattle @ Whimsical Nature

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book was on my TBR list for a while, and then i kind of forgot about it. Thanks for the spoiler free review and also for reminding me to get this book. It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.