Review of Duff

 Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.
Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.


With the movie coming out and the intriguing trailer, I had to get my hands on a copy of DUFF. My amazing aunt gave me a late birthday present, a gift card to Barnes and Nobel, so I snatched it up.
  • I really liked Bianca. I felt like I could relate and I definitely have felt like a DUFF many times in my life. I have some beautiful friends, so it is hard not to feel jealous or a little less than beautiful once and a while. She was tough, but yet sensitive, she knew who she was, but also knew that she did not have enough courage to be herself.
  • Wesley was great, he was perfect stereotype high school hottie. I enjoyed seeing him let go and actually open up to Bianca. Their crazy banter was fun to read.
  • I liked Bianca's two best friends a lot. They were both so real and great friends. They love Bianca and did not treat her like the way she saw herself after she was called a Duff. They genuinely cared for her and knew that something was up when she was ignoring her.
  • Bianca's relationship with her father was complex, but they genuinely cared for each other. I really liked they way they stuck together and worked out their issues.

 
  • I was sad that the book was not at all like the trailer. The names and places were the same, but the theme for the movie was completely different. I actually would have liked the book a lot better if it was like the movie but instead it was Bianca using Wesley for sex whenever she was upset or wanted a release. Not really what I wanted to read when I started the book. I did like the ending and the theme of the book, but I was disappointed with the sexual content in the book. I enjoy YA because it isn't normally so sexually charged. I would really rather promote safe and healthy relationships.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6931356-the-duff?from_search=true



http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773

9 comments

  1. I have this on my tbr. sounds like it had great characters. I don't have plans on seeing the movie but I'm really hoping to read this soon. Great review! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great banter was definitely one of the reasons I liked this book! The movie does have some of that essence there, but it completely moves away from the friends with benefits part of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I agree that the DUFF has way more sexual activity than most YA novels. Although I haven't seen the movie yet, I definitely enjoyed the book and it seems like the movie is totally different. Thanks for sharing you thoughts!

    Crystal @ Books Unbound

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking about reading this before seeing the movie...but I guess it doesn't really matter since they're not the same. I always find it weird when they take everything from a book for a movie, yet release something totally different (like Ella Enchanted).

    I might still watch the movie (and maybe read the book, haha). Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer to read a book before I see a movie. But in cases like this, where they are totally different, I usually end up getting upset at the movie. So who knows what I should do on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must admit that I hadn't heard of this book until recently, when everyone started talking about the film! I hope that you enjoy the movie more than you did the book, I'm curious as to how much they've changed it. Guess I'll just have to read and watch too!

    - Wattle @ Whimsical Nature

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been seeing great reviews of this book around, but I never thought to pick it up. I don't know; it just never appealed to me despite my love for contemporaries. :) Nice review, Missie! And thanks for dropping by my blog! :)

    Julie @ Books and Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate it when they change the movie so much from the book. But sadly it happens a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to read this book ever since I found it was a book to film adaptation. I love reading the book and then watching the movie to see if other people's imagination workes like mine. I hate when they stray too far and delete and add things and virtually change the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.