Review of Clockwork Angel

In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.

The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them...

 
I was so hesitant on picking this one up. I did not love The Mortal Instruments even though I did read the first three. It wasn't the writing, but the characters. I heard from quite a few bloggers that the Clockwork Angel and The Internal Devices series was much better. I decided to give it a shot and listen to the audiobook. It was read by Jennifer Ehle and was 14 hours, 40 minutes long.

I loved the time period. I think that is why I related to the book so much more than The Mortal Instruments. The story was based in the 1800s rather than in the present.  There were still many of the same aspects of the story, like in The Mortal Instruments (the runes, the Shadowhunters, vampires, warlocks, ect) but it was still a new and unique story. It did not feel like I was re-reading The Mortal Instruments.
There was no weird, semi-incestual love story in the one. I don't know why it bothered me so much, but the other book the romance was just plain weird. There was a mild romance in this one and I enjoyed it so much more. It was conflicted and way more realistic.
I love the side characters, especially Will and Jam. I loved Will's wit and I loved Jam's soft heart. I am very interested to see how the characters develop.
There was a little bit of a steampunk theme within the book. It was so much fun to imagine the clockwork angel necklace and the interesting mechanical characters that pop up in the book.

I didn't really have any gripes. I was an interesting and well-written story. I will be continuing with the series once they become available from the library.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7171637-clockwork-angel




http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773

4 comments

  1. I love Cassandra Clare but I haven't read the Infernal Devices series yet, glad you enjoyed the book!!
    Naomi @The Perks Of Being A Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked Will's quirky attitude and Jem's loving personality as well. I did enjoy the first two books in this trilogy, but I got spoiled on book three and have no plans on reading it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved both TMI & TID, but if I had to pick a favorite between the two series, I'd definitely pick TID. I also got put off by the incestuous relationship angle between Jace and Clary, and preferred the romantic relationships in the Infernal Devices much more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually have this book and simply haven't gotten around to reading it yet. But I will, because I loved the Mortal Instruments so much! And it's good to know that someone who didn't like the main series could still like this one.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.