Review of Wild

#1 NATIONAL BESTSELLER, SOON TO BE A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE.
At twenty-two, Cheryl Strayed thought she had lost everything. In the wake of her mother’s death, her family scattered and her own marriage was soon destroyed. Four years later, with nothing more to lose, she made the most impulsive decision of her life. With no experience or training, driven only by blind will, she would hike more than a thousand miles of the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mojave Desert through California and Oregon to Washington State — and she would do it alone.
Told with suspense and style, sparkling with warmth and humor, Wild powerfully captures the terrors and pleasures of one young woman forging ahead against all odds on a journey that maddened, strengthened, and ultimately healed her.
"One of the Best Books of the Year": NPR, The Boston GlobeEntertainment Weekly, Vogue, St. Louis Dispatch 


The previews for Wild looked so good that I had to get my hands on the book and see what it is all about. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I was thinking that you would need all the insight from the book to fully appreciate the movie.


Cheryl was so honest. She didn't hide anything or try to sugar coat anything. She told her story, all the gory details and wanted the reader to truly understand and feel her.
I enjoyed Eat, Pray, Love and I felt like this was Cheryl's journey that helped her figure herself out. Instead of learning from other people, as Elizabeth Gilbert did, but Cheryl hiked the Pacific Crest Trail alone.
Paul, Cheryl's husband was amazing. He was my favorite person in her life. He definitely got a bad wrap in the whole outcome.
The sidekicks, the people on the trail, were really interesting. I wanted to hike the trail so badly after reading this book, meet the people and see the sights. I am not sure I could do the whole thing, but it would be fun to try!

There wasn't really anything to gripe about. If you enjoy good non-fiction works about the true struggle of being a broken, faulted human, than you will enjoy this!

I will make sure to write up a review once I see the movie! 


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12262741-wild





http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773

7 comments

  1. The description makes this sound like a pretty terrible idea... But it sounds like it was actually pretty awesome! I would like to read her story and maybe figure out what her actual thought process was. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! Great review :)

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you set up your reviews - likes and gripes! haha so cute! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will need to check this book out, didn't realize there was a movie coming out. adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wild is such a fantastic book--one of my favorites!! The movie is good too but the book is better (of course). I agree with you--what struck me about this book was Cheryl's brutal honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this sounds like a fantastic book & I enjoyed reading your review as well - adding this to my TBR now :) xBenish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sooooo loved this book! I haven't managed to catch the movie yet, but I hope to soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not someone who reads too much non-fiction, but this does sound like it is worth my time. And seeing as Reese Witherspoon - one of my favourite actresses - is in the movie I would like to watch it. Gotta read it first though, so I hope I like it ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.