Review of Sharp Objects

WICKED above her hipbone, GIRL across her heart
Words are like a road map to reporter Camille Preaker’s troubled past. Fresh from a brief stay at a psych hospital, Camille’s first assignment from the second-rate daily paper where she works brings her reluctantly back to her hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls.

NASTY on her kneecap, BABYDOLL on her leg
Since she left town eight years ago, Camille has hardly spoken to her neurotic, hypochondriac mother or to the half-sister she barely knows: a beautiful thirteen-year-old with an eerie grip on the town. Now, installed again in her family’s Victorian mansion, Camille is haunted by the childhood tragedy she has spent her whole life trying to cut from her memory.

HARMFUL on her wrist, WHORE on her ankle
As Camille works to uncover the truth about these violent crimes, she finds herself identifying with the young victims—a bit too strongly. Clues keep leading to dead ends, forcing Camille to unravel the psychological puzzle of her own past to get at the story. Dogged by her own demons, Camille will have to confront what happened to her years before if she wants to survive this homecoming.

With its taut, crafted writing, Sharp Objects is addictive, haunting, and unforgettable.
 
I thought Gone Girl and Dark Places were amazing, so I knew that I needed to get my hands on Sharp Objects. There is no doubt in my mind that I will pre-order anything that Gillian Flynn writes, she has this dark, crazy, amazing mind. I cannot put her books down and cannot forget about them. The audiobook was read by Ann Marie Lee and was 9 hours, 37 minutes long.

  • Along with the rest of Gillian Flynn's work, each story has a dark, twisted, mysterious plot. You cannot put them down and NEED to figure out what is going on.
  • I felt like this one was much darker than the other stories. I tend to get so deep into books that they envelop me and this one definitely gave me a dark, brooding feeling. I am not saying that is a bad thing, I think it shows how amazing the writing really is.
  • There were times when I thought I knew who the killer was, and then I changed my mind, so the story definitely kept me thinking and on my toes.
  • I wasn't sure at the beginning where the title came from, but when it is finally explained, it is really interesting. I wanted to see and touch the main character. I know that sounds demented, but I was intrigued.
  • This book was much darker than Gone Girl and Dark Places, so it definitely was not a good read for everyone. There was a lot of sexual contact, violence, drugs and alcohol in the book. I just wanted to put this disclaimer out there before you pick up the book.
  • Camille was amazing, holy potatoes. Her story, her personality, her life. Uffda. I was just amazing by the world-building around her life in a small time.
  • Along with Camille was her crazy mother, Adora. Holy potatoes even more! I wanted more and more of that women, she was just so mind blowing! One of the most amazingly written characters in all of Gillian's books!

  • None, loved it!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/66559.Sharp_Objects




http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773

10 comments

  1. I need to finally get familiar with this author and her books. I have heard such amazing things that I want to read it but somehow I always go and read something else. Anyhow I'm so happy you enjoyed this one and it seems like a great read. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one, too...the cutting was something I saw in my career as a social worker; girls dealing with their emotional pain this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, did you like it? ;)
    I've only seen Gone Girl. Which unfortunately I was not a fan of. But maybe I should still give one of her books a go.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! I only read Gone Girl and enjoyed it but wanted to pick up her other books. I think i'll start with Dark Places because this seems a bit too dark for me? also, awesome blog! new follower :D

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the only one of Gillian's books I've read so far, and I loved it as well. Definitely very dark, almost had a sickly feeling to it. Despite the heavy material, it was so absorbing and beautifully written. I definitely need to pick up her other books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only watched Gone Girl but even from that I know how amazing Gillian Flynn is at creating intense and thrilling stories. I'm glad you loved this one Missie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review Missie, I've wanted to read this one after Gone Girl and it sounds like it's just as thrilling! It does sound a lot darker though, so I'll prepare for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm dying to read this after reading your review, I especially want to find out what's so great about the character of Adora. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also think Gillian is a dark but absolutely amazing author! She's from Chicago, and I have a fear of running into her on the streets somewhere - j/k. I have yet to read Dark Places, but it is on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked this one a LOT better than Gone Girl -- so deliciously creepy!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.