Review of Kill Me Softly

Mirabelle's past is shrouded in secrecy, from her parents' tragic deaths to her guardians' half-truths about why she can't return to her birthplace, Beau Rivage. Desperate to see the town, Mira runs away a week before her sixteenth birthday—and discovers a world she never could have imagined.

In Beau Rivage, nothing is what it seems—the strangely pale girl with a morbid interest in apples, the obnoxious playboy who's a beast to everyone he meets, and the chivalrous guy who has a thing for damsels in distress. Here, fairy tales come to life, curses are awakened, and ancient stories are played out again and again.

But fairy tales aren't pretty things, and they don't always end in happily ever after. Mira has a role to play, a fairy tale destiny to embrace or resist. As she struggles to take control of her fate, Mira is drawn into the lives of two brothers with fairy tale curses of their own . . . brothers who share a dark secret. And she'll find that love, just like fairy tales, can have sharp edges and hidden thorns.


I love fairy tale retellings, and even signed up to be part of a fairy tale re-telling challenge for 2015. I have been looking forward to Sarah Cross’s new book, “Tear you Apart,” so I thought I would give Kill Me Softly while I was waiting for it to come out. I listened to the audiobook. It was read by Kim Mai Guest and was 10 hours, 54 minutes long.

  • The take on fairy tales was really interesting. Regular humans were cursed or blessed by fairies and were put into fairy tale categories. They knew what their destinties were, just not really when it would happen or how. One girl knew that she was Snow White and knew that she was destined for her step-mother to try to kill her.
  • The town of Beau Riavge was a bit like Las Vegas, but in a beach town. It was a neat backdrop for the story. I always seem to be drawn toward books where the main characters like in a hotel. Weird, I know, but for some reason it is interesting to me.
  • Mira was your average MC. She was interesting enough, I am not sure I really connected to her. She trusted too easily, followed along to easily and was sometimes pretty stupid. But hey, we were all teenage girls once and didn’t always make the wises decisions. Heck – sometimes (or often times) I still don’t.
  • I loved finding out who each of the kids were, character-wise. It was interesting to see how they worked into the story – and their dramatic Grimm’s stories rather than the Disney, which I love. I know it is dark but I feel like they are just so much more realstic!

  • Insta-love to it’s MAX. I wanted to barf a few times and kept rolling my eyes. Like geez wiz!
  • Love triangle in this one too – more like a love square. It was a lot of people liking one girl. It was a bit much. I actually was rooting for the one that didn’t even stand a chance – but I was thinking he was the one that deserved her the most. He was left in the dust.
  • The story left a lot of holes. It is supposed to be a series, but Sarah has not written any other parts of the series, so it just kinda hanging out there. I don’t think this will put me off from reading any of her other books – just an observation.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12680998-kill-me-softly
 
 


http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773

5 comments

  1. The next book Tear You Apart is a different fairy tale, but you do get the same characters kind of. And it is a fairy tale, isn't it always insta-love in fairy tales? You would probably enjoy A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas if you haven't read it yet, because it is sooooo not insta-love. Almost the opposite in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey dear, you can now sell items of any kind with a very low percentage to any country of your choice at http://www.dressrug.com/ . first 500 people to register gets free adverts as top sellers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the cover of this one, this sounds like a wonderful read :) Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember reading about this one last year, and thinking that it sounded pretty awesome. I love the idea of kids being put into fairytale categories. I think I would spend the entire time trying to pick who was who, though, haha XD

    It's a shame about the insta-love and the love square thing. These two things annoy me very much in books, so I will definitely be wary if I ever pick this one up!

    Ah, it's always painful when it seems to be the first in the series, but there has been no word on a sequel. Hopefully one is released soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, this seems like a mixed review. I do want to read these books because I love fairytales and love how popular retellings have become since I enjoy them a lot! It's just a huge shame about the love square and insta love - definitely puts me off. We'll have to see about this one.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.