Review of I Was Here

Cody and Meg were inseparable.
Two peas in a pod.
Until . . . they weren’t anymore.

When her best friend Meg drinks a bottle of industrial-strength cleaner alone in a motel room, Cody is understandably shocked and devastated. She and Meg shared everything—so how was there no warning? But when Cody travels to Meg’s college town to pack up the belongings left behind, she discovers that there’s a lot that Meg never told her. About her old roommates, the sort of people Cody never would have met in her dead-end small town in Washington. About Ben McAllister, the boy with a guitar and a sneer, who broke Meg’s heart. And about an encrypted computer file that Cody can’t open—until she does, and suddenly everything Cody thought she knew about her best friend’s death gets thrown into question.

I Was Here is Gayle Forman at her finest, a taut, emotional, and ultimately redemptive story about redefining the meaning of family and finding a way to move forward even in the face of unspeakable loss.


I really enjoyed If I Stay and I was really excited to get my hands on I Was Here. My library had it on release day, so it felt like my birthday! I listened to the audiobook. It was Jorgeana Marie and was 7 hours, 54 minutes long.

  • I have experienced suicide in my family, so I could definitely relate to how Cody felt. The aftermath that the family is left with. There is so much pain and confusion and a desire to know what and why. Meg's family and best friend, Cody, felt all of these emotions and had to try to work through what was going on. 
  • I think more books about depression and mental illnesses are necessary. I deal with anxiety myself and I know how hard it is to have a mental illness that so few really understand. There is still that sigma that society has not open up to yet.
  • Cody goes to pack Meg's college room up and realizes how little of her best friend she knew since she moved. Cody has a chip on her shoulder as she meets the people but comes to realize that they will help in her journey in healing from the loss of her friend.
  • I didn't realize that there was going to be a bit of mystery within the book. The pacing of the book went well and kept me listening. I think I listened to this one for most of the day because I wanted to find out what was going to happen.

  • The romance was a bit odd. I can see how it all worked out, but it still had that unusual feeling.
  • Cody's mom was awful. I hate that most YA books have such awful parental figures. I do not feel like that is the norm for most families, so I don't understand why it is so prominent in YA.
 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18879761-i-was-here
 



http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773

5 comments

  1. Okay, so I think I need to buy/read this book :D It sounds great and I loved If I Stay too :) I'm not sure if I should read Where She Went, have you read it?

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to buy this book soon, I love Gayle's books! I'm glad you liked this one, love the likes and dislikes.

    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally support you and agree that books that deal with such serious issues are needed. I'm glad that there is plenty of them around, ad hopefully we'll get more of them in YA. Anyhow I don't like the odd feeling about romance as Gayle's books are the ones with the kind of romance I love. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Gayle Forman and her books are so heart felt. Great review!
    Naomi @The Perks Of Being A Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really liked (more than I thought) If I Stay, but I'm not sure about this one. Maybe I'll get to it eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.