Review of Four

Two years before Beatrice Prior made her choice, the sixteen-year-old son of Abnegation’s faction leader did the same. Tobias’s transfer to Dauntless is a chance to begin again. Here, he will not be called the name his parents gave him. Here, he will not let fear turn him into a cowering child.

Newly christened “Four,” he discovers during initiation that he will succeed in Dauntless. Initiation is only the beginning, though; Four must claim his place in the Dauntless hierarchy. His decisions will affect future initiates as well as uncover secrets that could threaten his own future—and the future of the entire faction system.

Two years later, Four is poised to take action, but the course is still unclear. The first new initiate who jumps into the net might change all that. With her, the way to righting their world might become clear. With her, it might become possible to be Tobias once again.

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Veronica Roth comes a companion volume to the worldwide bestselling DIVERGENT series, told from the per-spective of the immensely popular character Tobias. The four pieces included here—THE TRANSFER, THE INITIATE, THE SON, and THE TRAITOR—plus three additional exclusive scenes, give readers an electrifying glimpse into the history and heart of Tobias, and set the stage for the epic saga of the DIVERGENT trilogy.
There is no doubt that Four is my favorite character in the Divergent series. I have such a HUGE crush on him, especially after Theo James played him in the movies. I don't normally read novellas, but one of my friends had picked up the collection and let me borrow it.









  • I loved having all of the novellas together. I think that reading them one at a time would have felt incomplete. I enjoyed being able to go from one story to the next immediately. 
  • Learning more about Four, especially his time before Dauntless and during his initiation was really interesting. I loved seeing him struggle, making friends and trying to figure out how to stand up for what he believed in.
  • These collections definitely made me hate Eric even more! Argh, he was just so stinking full of himself. 
  • One of my favorite parts of the story was when Tobias went on his first date, it was hilarious to see him use his normal lack of tact and stolidness.
  • Seeing Tris's fall from Tobias's POV was awesome. I love how he was just kinda stunned. In Divergent it seems like he was so much more in control.  


  • I guess there isn't really anything wrong. I know that Veronica started writing more from Tobias's POV, and I kinda wish that she would have done more with that, especially before the third book. 





http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773

10 comments

  1. Set aside my thoughts on this review and everything else in between, I just want to chat about the character himself. Honestly before I knew Theo James was playing Four, if I would have read the book and not have known that I don't think I would have liked the character Four very much. He either hated was Tris was doing and didn't believe in her or he was quarreling with his mother and his father. But when Theo James showed up on the movie theater screen, I was like holy crap *let's stack back a bit here* this guy is smoking smoking hot and I need to eat him up lol. And therefore I'm not inevitably in love with Four. There's my story, go ahead and enjoy it lol!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like most series these days end up with companion novellas, though that's not necessarily a bad thing; it's a bit of a trend though.

    I really need to read this series from the start. I told myself last year that I'd read it, but I just never quite got there. Maybe this year. I want to see if all the hype is worth it :)

    - Wattle @ Whimsical Nature

    ReplyDelete
  3. I freakin love Four!! I bought my sister this prequel, but I was never really planning to read it myself. I mean, the story ended and it wasn't exactly the best ending, so why would I want to read the start? But the way you've described it has made me feel as if I love Divergent all over again, and I want to read this now.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked seeing Tobias' first date as well. He's so awkward! I liked seeing him before his transfer to Dauntless as well. I had some gripes with the stories once Tris was introduced, but I enjoyed it overall!

    Stefani @ Caught Read Handed

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe I still haven't read this. I pre-ordered it and everything. BUT I'm one of the few people that loved Allegiant and reading this feels like I'm finally letting the story go and be finished. It makes me sad. Haha!
    Ummmm...let's not discuss how many times I've watched the scene where Theo's shirt disappears. I'm not creepy or anything... ;)
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life ">

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I need to read this one. I was skeptical as to if it was any good/was worth reading and your review definitely makes me want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so torn on wanting to read this one or not. But you make it sound worth it, so I guess I have to look in to getting a copy.

    Dreams @ Once Upon A Dream Books

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to read this one, it's been on my TBR for so long - I loved Theo who played him in the movies, lovely post :) x Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to read this one, it's been on my TBR for so long - I loved Theo who played him in the movies, lovely post :) x Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, I want to read these novellas! I am so glad I waited for them all to be collected into one though. I think it would be great to see things from his perspective - and yes, he was my favourite character as well.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.