Review of Big Little Lies

Check out the #1 New York Times bestseller Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty, called “a surefire hit” by Entertainment Weekly.

"The secrets burrowed in this seemingly placid small town...are so suburban noir they would make David Lynch clap with glee...[Moriarty] is a fantastically nimble writer, so sure-footed that the book leaps between dark and light seamlessly; even the big reveal in the final pages feels earned and genuinely shocking.” —Entertainment Weekly

"Reading one [of Liane Moriarty's novels] is a bit like drinking a pink cosmo laced with arsenic... [BIG LITTLE LIES] is a fun, engaging and sometimes disturbing read” –USA Today


Sometimes it’s the little lies that turn out to be the most lethal. . . .
  A murder… . . . a tragic accident… . . . or just parents behaving badly?
What’s indisputable is that someone is dead.   But who did what?
  Big Little Lies follows three women, each at a crossroads:   Madeline is a force to be reckoned with. She’s funny and biting, passionate, she remembers everything and forgives no one. Her ex-husband and his yogi new wife have moved into her beloved beachside community, and their daughter is in the same kindergarten class as Madeline’s youngest (how is this possible?). And to top it all off, Madeline’s teenage daughter seems to be choosing Madeline’s ex-husband over her. (How. Is. This. Possible?).
Celeste is the kind of beautiful woman who makes the world stop and stare. While she may seem a bit flustered at times, who wouldn’t be, with those rambunctious twin boys? Now that the boys are starting school, Celeste and her husband look set to become the king and queen of the school parent body. But royalty often comes at a price, and Celeste is grappling with how much more she is willing to pay.   New to town, single mom Jane is so young that another mother mistakes her for the nanny. Jane is sad beyond her years and harbors secret doubts about her son. But why? While Madeline and Celeste soon take Jane under their wing, none of them realizes how the arrival of Jane and her inscrutable little boy will affect them all.
  Big Little Lies is a brilliant take on ex-husbands and second wives, mothers and daughters, schoolyard scandal, and the dangerous little lies we tell ourselves just to survive.
 Big Little Lies was our January pick for book club. It was the first book by Liane I have read and I definitely need to read The Husband's Secret after finishing this one!

I loved the progression in this book - it was like back and forth from the present to the past to solve some sort of murder, but you don't really know what is going on till the end.
I loved the characters - I definitely think Madeline was my favorite. I could really visualize how this whole situation went down and what it is like to be parents in the that community. Uffda!
There was this whole hilarious line between humor and actual real life issues that are not funny, it was a line that would be easy to cross, but the book does a great job not making light of the situation but still making the book entertaining.
I totally had a book crush on Tom from the cafe - even with his small role he was one of my favorites

The only thing I struggled a bit with was that I wanted to figure out what was going on - so sometimes the pacing was a little slow for me




http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773

8 comments

  1. This is a new one to me. I love not knowing what's going on until the end since it's pretty difficult to surprise me. So glad it stayed entertaining if it the big excitement was at the end. Great review! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mysteries are always a little weird but when a book does it right it's always a great experience! I'm glad this murder mystery worked out great for you!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I have this one on my TBR shelf but haven't gotten motivated to pick it up yet. I've heard so many good reviews though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED this book. It's so clever and just so compulsively readable. I also liked what you mentioned -- that combo of funny and serious. Made the book fun, but also thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is on my tbr list too. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got this for Christmas and I'm sooo excited to dive into it. Plus that cover, yo. Loves. Lol.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've had trouble reading her books in the past due to pacing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had this book on my TBR for some time now and just have never gotten around to read it, but then I see a good review like this and I'm like, I REALLY need to get to this book! Love the blog--it's adorable!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.