Review of The 5th Wave

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker.

Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.


I have put off reading The 5th Wave for such a long time, but thought that I should give it a shot before the movie comes out (I realize that I have some time, but hey, it was available at the library). I listened to the audiobook, it was read by Phoebe Strole and Brandon Espinoza. It was 12 hours and 44 minutes long.

  • I don't really read a lot of books with aliens, so it was out of my norm. It felt good to go outside my typical reads.
  • I like that the book showed the progression through the "apocalypse" as the waves came through . I like finding out how the fall happened, where as most dystopian novels don't really give the details of how civilization fell. 
  • Cassie was an interesting MC. I liked that she wasn't perfect or the most popular, that she had crazy crush on a boy and dealt with every day normal teenage girl issues. Then all the sudden she is alone and trying to survive with aliens taking over earth. 
  • The waves were really interesting, it was like every Doomsday preppers worst nightmare. 
  • The storyline and pacing were good, I definitely want to continue with the series just to see where it is going to go.

  • I don't want to spoil anything, but I was totally ok with the alien invasion situation until we got to the part where we found out what the 5th wave would  be. I don't know why it bothered me, but it just felt so off. 
  • I just don't really know how I felt about Evan. I really wanted more development with him and more understanding when it was his POV. I am hoping we will learn more in the upcoming books.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16101128-the-5th-wave




http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773

10 comments

  1. Did you see the new Evan they picked to be in the movie? He's so cute :3.

    Thanks for this lovely review, I really needed it to make me want to read this book.You see, I have the first two books in hardback and I still haven't picked them up. But now I want to read about the waves since I'm such a doomsday prepping kind of person. I always have my first-aid kit on hand and that backpack full of water bottles and ropes, and closed bags of trail mix. Am I weird yet? Lovely Review Missie :D

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly enjoyed this first book, but I found the second installment to be somewhat of a disappointment. Hopefully, the third book is better!

    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have put this one off for a while too. I am not sure why. My hubby loved it and laughed while reading. So I need to read it. I don't mind alien invasion books. I usally enjoy them. So really i don't have an excuse. you do have more likes than gripes so that is a good thing. I didn't know a movie was coming out. I am so way behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard mixed reviews about this series, I might check it out for myself now - lovely review hun :) x Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've put this one off for a long time too. No reason, it just never grabs me when I'm looking for my next read. I don't think I've read any alien invasion books either. I'm not sure how I feel about them, but I'm not opposed to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book looks interesting. I don't really read much alien books either, but this one seems to be something I might enjoy reading. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've ever read an alien invasion book, but I've heard good things about The 5th Wave.It's just that this book in general seems so weird, and I'm not much a fan of apocalyptic books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was pretty disappointed in this book, after having heard so many amazing things about it. Unfortunately, I liked the sequel even less. I guess neither the characters nor the storyline really jump out at me, and I don't like them enough to be truly invested in them. I am quite looking forward to the movie, as maybe the story will translate better on screen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As to your two gripes, I understand where those are coming from. I have similar hesitations myself. I'm hoping that book two will clear those up since I have heard good things about that book.

    Dreams @ Once Upon A Dream Books

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a friend who is reading it right now and not liking it too much. I don't read books with aliens either so it would be nice to do something different in that essence. Not sure whether I will pick this one up or not, but maybe!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.