Review of The Night Circus

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called "Le Cirque des Reves," and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway--a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love - a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per-formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.
The Night Circus was one I started a while ago and then just wasn’t in the mood for it. I found the audiobook at my library, so I thought I would give it another shot. The audiobook was read by Jim Dale and was 13 hours, 43 minutes long.

  • The circus was so magical. I could just envision the color scheme, the crazy spectacular tents and the smell of the caramel corn. I would love to have gotten to see it in person. Erin did an amazing job with her writing and really brought the circus to life.
  • Celia and Marco were so amazing. I love their story and how they are so perfectly chosen for competition that they compliment each others work without even realizing it. They also had to figure out how to deal with the competition and exactly what it meant to them and those around them.
  • The whole Le Cirque de Reves family was amazing, each character was so well-written and had so much personality. You can just imagine them together as they planned the circus and their roles in the group. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in their midnight dinners.
  • “True love or not, the game must play out.” I think this really sums up the story, it was interesting to see how they work together and sometimes against each other to figure out how to love and who they really are.
  • The redhead twins had to be my favorite part of the book. They were so interesting and crazy mature for their age. I love how these two children could understand so much more than all the adults around them.

  • There were quite a few times were I just felt the story dragging a bit. It all wove together well in the end, but I couldn’t help but want to sometimes fast forward and I caught myself day dreaming a couple times.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9361589-the-night-circus




http://aflurryofponderings.blogspot.com/2015/01/reading-challenge-around-world-reading.html

Around the World Reading Challenge Destinations:
New York
London
Paris
Concord, Mass
Vienna
Prague
Munich
Istanbul
Dublin
Boston, Mass
Montreal

 
http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773

13 comments

  1. AHHHHHH I'm so glad you liked this book! It's one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've recently read this too and absolutely loved it! I know what you mean about it dragging in parts - it took me a while to get into it for this reason - but I'm so glad that I stuck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book! The circus was so magical and I found the writing to be beautiful. So glad you liked it!

    Emily @ Follow the Yellow Book Road

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seriously wanted to read this book for soooo long! Now I think I have to.

    - Love, Felicia
    ( http://asillygirlsthoughts.weebly.com/ )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, I didn't even think about what a clever book this is for your Around the World challenge! Way to get about 10 places in one :)

    I really love The Night Circus. Like you said, it drags a bit in places, but the circus is just so. Beautiful. I'd absolutely love for them to make a movie out of this so I can watch it come to life before my eyes. And the twins were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love reading the reviews that you post on your blog. I'm not lying about how I read this and then went up to get The Night Circus from Barnes & Noble. It's in my hands!! Well I was in barnes & Noble anyways and was checking reviews in my blogger inbox. I can't wait to get started on this mysterious read. For the around the world challenge The Conspiracy of Us takes place in Istanbul right?? <3
    Awesome review, as always

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review!! I felt exactly the same way. While the descriptions were nice and you could visualize the circus to the minute detail, it would have been nice if the pace were a little faster. I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I DNFed this one and I don't think I'm going to give it another try via audio, but I have found that a lot of times I can get into an audiobook when I'm having trouble with a book. It doesn't always work, but it does more often than not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought a copy of this book back when it was booming in the blogosphere. Heaps of people have said that it is the perfect Adult read for Young Adult fans, which makes me pretty interested in it. Your like all endear me to read the book, so maybe I need to bump it up on the TBR. It's a shame that it dragged in places, though. I am not a huge fan of when that happens in books :/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I liked it, but I must admit I don't remember very much about it :/ according to goodreads I didn't like the end though lol maybe I need to re-read! Audio sounds like a good way to do that :)

    - Wattle @ Whimsical Nature

    ReplyDelete
  11. The middle part definitely dragged for me, but the writing was really, really amazing!
    Kim @ Divergent Gryffindor: BLOG || VLOG

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so in love with this book's cover, and I'm so happy that you enjoyed it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know Jim Dale read this audiobook! I love him and I really enjoyed reading the book, maybe I'l have to listen to it now. :) I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.